Format override (overkill!)

Hm… how do I prevent the overriding of lovingly formatted italics?
I am cutting a pasting a lot right now, and sometimes the format (especially the spacing) gets a bit weird. When I then apply the preset I want for this section, all the italics (and I’ve got maaaaany of them) turn back to ‘normal’… it’s such a hassle… can I tell Scrivener to keep italics somehow???
Pleeeaseeee

With best wishes for a glorious Monday

You probably just need to select a font that supports italics. Can you apply italics after converting to the new font?

The problem is that when presets save character formatting, they save it all–so the preset itself is either going to be italic or not italic, and when you apply that to the whole paragraph, it will change all the text to use that attribute. Instead you might try using Documents>Convert>Formatting to Default Style–this will change the whole document (so wait until you’ve finished pasting your text and do it all at once) but it will preserve italics, bold, etc. (That is, they will get wiped if your default font doesn’t have an italic or bold variant, but I’m assuming if you use italics and bold in your regular writing then it does; you can double-check by opening the font panel and looking at the typeface list for your default font.) You’ll also get additional options if there’s other formatting you want to preserve, like indents or text alignment.

Dear all

Thank you for these hints. I am using either Optima or Times New Roman (I haven’t quite decided yet, but both support italics)… I’ll procrastinate a bit with the formatting to default style today… erm… can I define the Default Style myself (and if so, where?).
And one more formatting question–because I am still having a bit of trouble with exporting/compiling (files) to send them off, it takes far too long to format everything etc. …-- I tried to find a way to tell scrivener to hm… either just ‘keep’ my preset as I defined it (i.e. Times new roman, 12 pt, double sacing, indent…boring…) and still have it in Word or Mellel, or can I say: When compiling, make this preset appear in such and such a way in word?

Best :smiley:

Whoops, sorry. You can define your default style by opening Scrivener>Preferences and clicking on the “Formatting” tab. There’s a sample text box there that will give you a live preview, so you can adjust that to what you want (or you can click “Use Formatting in Current Editor” to make the settings from your current document–specifically, the paragraph where your cursor’s placed–become the default). Once you’ve set this, any new documents you create will use this formatting, and you can use the Documents>Convert>Formatting to Default Text Style to change any old ones.

For compile, you might want to try using the Original preset from the “Format As” drop-down menu. That will use all the formatting from the editor rather than overriding it, so it may at least be a place to start. You could also apply Format>Formatting>Preserve Formatting to your specially-formatted paragraphs (block quotes and such), which lets you override formatting at compile without affecting those sections–and you can click the “Options” button in the Formatting pane of Compile to further refine just what formatting is preserved, so for instance you could preserve your line spacing and indentation but still override the font at compile time (if you decide halfway through your work that you want to switch from Optima to TNR).

That “Options” button will also present some other possibilities to limit what formatting is overridden by the compile settings. And if all you need to do is change the font, there’s also the Quick Font Override, which will handle that without doing anything to line spacing, alignment, etc.

Thank you :slight_smile: I am anticipating a lot of less-stressed nerves and maybe less coffees at 2 a.m. :smiley:

Maybe I’m skimming too much, but it seems to me that what you want is to let the compile settings override your font, and not worry too much about what font to use while writing or pasting text in. The compile settings allow you to choose one font to apply to all of your text (and if it supports italics, those words/phrases will remain italicized), so that you have a uniform output no matter how haphazard your font settings get in the individual documents of your draft.

Some of us (a lot?) prefer to have a computer-screen-friendly font for writing and editing in, and a different font for printing to paper, or publishing, or whatever our output is destined for. Having a default formatting that is pleasing to the eye is very nice for editing and writing, but deciding on your final formatting while you write is a distraction, especially if you haven’t settled on which font.

I hope my two cents were of some value to you, or someone else reading this conversation. :slight_smile:

@robertdguthrie

ALL two cents are of value to me (I am a student :wink: )! Thanks, I think that is about what I want. I know that in compile you can tell Scrivener to use “Time” for everything… Somehow I think that Word has not yet been quite exorcised… The thing is that when I get stuck during writing, I use the time to get on with some formatting… a) this safes time later, when submission deadlines come dangerously close, and b) it provides a reason to go back to what I’ve written already… so I have the formatting somewhat nicely embedded in my workflow. Also, ‘haphazardness’ on the screen irritates me :wink:
However, in term of my italics problem, your hint is very helpful of course… I’ll definitely try it in my next chapter, and see how I get on with it. :mrgreen:

I sometimes procrastinate by fiddling with my compile settings, just to see what it will look like as a single document. If you only have one submission target, then it’s all the same, but I (eventually) want to submit my manuscript to various agents, who will likely have different formatting requirements, and my first readers will likely want various formats as well. What’s great about Scrivener, is it allows for our differing preferences, even if you can’t fathom how I can tolerate my document fonts changing throughout my draft for no purpose other than I know (and relish) that they will all be smoothed out in the end. :slight_smile: