Format titles with one word in italics for compile to .pdf

I’m using Scrivener to write my thesis in Japanese studies. Japanese words are written in roman letters in the text e.g. dōjō. I have figured out how to do this for body text, however, sometimes I need to use them in titles/headings.

Is there any way to retain the italics for individual words when compiling?

For example, I have a section titled as follows:

Definitions: koryū bujutsu

I compile for word at the moment, which is messy, but OK as it is still only draft for feedback, so I can do individual edits, however, eventually I have to submit in .pdf, and I don’t really want to have to export the whole thing into another format then to .pdf, if at all possible.

Any help/suggestions would be much appreciated. :slight_smile:

I believe the binder is, of necessity, plain text, in which case it can’t include font styles.

There may be more elegant ways of doing it, but what I would do is create my own tag pair, something like … which I could search for in my word processor and then do a search and replace switching on everything between the tags in italics and deleting the tags, or even better create a macro to do it.

I use Nisus Writer Pro, which has regex search and replace and the possibility to macroize the formula. I haven’t used Word since v 5.1a, so I can’t help, but it must be possible to do the same using Word.

It might even be possible to do it in Replacements in compile in Scrivener, but someone will know better than me, as I haven’t needed to do anything like that, so my Replacements-功夫 is minimal.

:slight_smile:

Mr X

Post Edit: By the way, what is it that you will be having to submit? Assessment (term paper)? MA Dissertation? PhD thesis?

MultiMarkdown will do what you want, even with the names of compiled binder items.

1. Write in Scrivener (Scrivener can convert bold and italics to MMD syntax)

2. Use asterisks to denote italics in binder names. (Definitions: koryū bujutsu)

3. Preview the file using Marked2 (marked2app.com)

4a. Save from Marked2 in PDF format, or

4b. Save from Marked2 to RTF/ODT/Word, tweak anything else you want to tweak, and then create a PDF.

OR

1. Write in Scrivener (Scrivener can convert bold and italics to MMD syntax)

2. Use asterisks to denote italics in binder names. (Definitions: koryū bujutsu)

3. Save to RTF

4. Open in your word processor, tweak anything else you want to tweak, and then create a PDF.

Another approach is to forgo using the compiler to generate titles, and just place them directly in the files. If you are using folders for chapters, you could put the title in the folder text itself and change your compile Formatting settings to print folder text instead of titles. Or just put it at the top of the first file in the chapter (or even have a special file that is just the title alone).

I posted some tips for doing this in an older thread. As noted further down in that thread, you can still take advantage of automatic numbering, you’d just use the tokens in your title instead of in the compile settings.

The big downside to this method is that you relinquish central control over your title formatting. If you change your mind about what a heading should look like, you’ll have to change them all by hand instead of in one place. Of course if you are doing something like writing to a style guide that probably won’t be a major downside.