Formating headings and ***

Hi guys,

How can I format in Scrivener to make sure my chapter titles (and the first letter of a new chapter) come out like this:

Also, how can I make sure that two different scenes are split with this line instead of ***

Thank you very much in advance for any insight you might have :slight_smile:

For the first part, you need to set up the Formatting options in the Compile dialogue to automatically number and format your chapter titles (with the title being taken automatically from the binder title).

Assuming your chapters are all top level folders under the Draft / Manuscript folder in the binder…

Click on Compile, and press the blue arrow on the right to get to the advance options. In the Formatting panel, click on Type: Level +1 and make sure the Title tick box is ticked. Make sure that line is highlighted, then click on the Section Layout button. Enter the following into it: CHAPTER <$W> then press return. Put the graphic [1] in the line below, then press return again. Then click OK.

Back in the dummy text you’ll see it’s changed to reflect what you’ve just entered:

On compilation, the Title in the dummy text will be replaced with the name of each chapter from the binder. If you click on the dummy title line, you can apply the normal formatting controls (bold, italic, centre align, font etc).

To use a something other than ### as a separator, go to the Separators panel, choose the relevant one, select Custom and add your graphic into the field.[1]

Here’s what you end up with (obviously, this is just a mock up and you’d do other formatting…)

I don’t think the windows version does Drop Capitals or different first paragraphs (Version 3 will be more flexible but not yet.) The best you could do for this, I think is to manually create the drop cap in the editor then use the Preserve Formatting feature so that these first paragraphs are compiled without being changed. It won’t look as good as proper drop caps though.

Hope this gives you some ideas to play with. If you haven’t already done the Interactive Tutorial, then it would probably be a good idea to do it now – it will help with giving you a background to what’s happening with this sort of compilation and much else beside.

Good luck!

[1] For both these, I’ve used a ‘character’ icon – i.e. a single printable character (i.e. something from the Wingdings font set) rather than a jpg, because that’s the easiest way to do it. I don’t know how to introduce an image otherwise. Sorry.