Formatting certain chapters differently

I’m hoping that there’s a way to format my flashback chapters a little differently - such as giving them a bigger indent, maybe on both sides. They appear with an extra-large right margin in Scrivener right now because I pasted my manuscript there from Word and that’s how I had it in Word, but they’re not showing up that way when I compile to .mobi for Kindle.

Am I right in guessing that this is a limitation of Amazon’s format? Or is there a way to accomplish this somehow?

The best way to test whether or not your formatting will work at all on the Kindle is to compile off some test runs, setting the Format As preset to Original. That will just use whatever formatting you’ve got laying around in the editor. If that works, then in theory you should be fine, but you probably need to tweak your Formatting options in the compile window. That’s a rather big topic, and you’ll probably want to read §23.8 in the User Manual PDF (pg. 311) at some point to get a grasp on how Scrivener works at this level—but the most useful sub-set of tools in this pane will be covered in §23.8.3 (pg. 319). Here the special formatting options are discussed, which provide global overrides to the overrides. :slight_smile: Ways of telling the reformatting engine to not be so harsh on certain types of formatting, like indents and tabs.

Or, if you’ve got things consistent in your editor you could of course just leave override formatting off. There are a lot of things you could do, but probably only a few are best for what your particular setup looks like, and lacking that knowledge I can’t really recommend a particular one over the other, hence the redirects to the documentation. :slight_smile:

Some useful key phrases: “Preserve Formatting” and “Compile As-Is”. The first, in particular, might be useful for blocking out these chapters as partially protected (again, see §23.8.3 on how this can be tuned), if you need tabs and indents otherwise to homogenise a shotgun approach to formatting in the editor.

Thank you for the explanation. I’m afraid I haven’t been able to figure it out, but it may just be information overload at this point. I think once I have used Scrivener for a couple months I may start to understand what you’re saying. For now, I’ve got it looking pretty much the way I want except for those chapters, and they’re not a deal-breaker, so I’m going to publish this puppy and work more on it later. Thanks again!

If you want, I could take a look at your project and make some suggestions; send you back a copy with an example that works the way you want. If that’s okay with you, send it to support AT literatureandlatte DOT com.

If you’re new to the program then all of this probably is info overload, I do agree! The compiler is probably the most complicated aspect of the application, and formatting the most complicated part of compiling. It’s not too bad once you get the hang of it, but there are some unique concepts that require a firm grasp of how other things work in the software, so going straight to level based formatting rules before the fundamentals are second-nature would be dizzying I think.

Wow, that is awfully nice of you to offer! I tried to send it but it says something about needing Aladdin Systems on my computer in order to attach the file to an e-mail. Is that because it’s still the trial version? (I will be purchasing within the next week or two for sure.)

In any case, I’m finding it surprising that I’m stumped by Scrivener’s formatting options because I’ve been working with various publishing and designing software for years and can usually figure things out on my own (sometimes after much hair-pullling, admittedly). It is mostly that formatting section that is doing me in, you’re right, but I’m not blaming the software - more likely it’s my dying brain cells that are the problem. Probably heavy use plus trial and error will come through in the end. :slight_smile:

Try right-clicking the .scriv file and choosing “Compress [filename]” to get a .zip file of your project and then attaching that to the email. Scrivener projects are actually file packages, so basically you’re trying to attach a folder full of lots of files, and a lot of email servers will reject that.

Re: formatting, I think a lot of it is just that you’re looking at the whole thing another way than in a lot other programs, taking the structure of what you’ve got in the binder and then mapping that to all your formatting in compile. Once you’ve gotten into it a bit it will probably click for you and you’ll see all the potential and how you can adjust things to get your compiles just so, but initially it can be a lot to wrap your head around. :slight_smile:

Ah, that did it. It’s on its way. Thanks!

Oh, just realized you weren’t Amber. Still, thanks so much! :slight_smile:

It’s okay. It’s my secret ambition to be mistaken for Ioa on the forums. :wink:

Ah, so that’s why you chose a robot with an evil red scanning dot in it. Now it all makes sense! :smiling_imp: I bet half the time when we double post an answer, people think the “support person” is raving mad.

Bwahahahahahaha.

…are they wrong?