Formatting Character Sketches

So in the default character sketches in Scrivener 1 they had this neat alignment where all the colons lined up on the right-hand side of that sort of column without actually right alignment or use of a table and I absolutely loved it, except when I tried to edit it and had a category title longer than the original options. I have been trying for over a week now, watching videos and reading blogs for information on how to do that myself in a custom sketch template but I don’t know if I’m blind or what but I can’t find it. It’s probably because I don’t know what that’s actually called to search so I’ve been doing a lot of reading and watching you tube. But if someone could explain to me how to do that so I can set that up in a template of my own making for myself that would be really really awesome. Thanks for any help you might be able to give me.

Tab stops are how you would break up a line into multiple different alignments. Try this:

1. On a new line, hit the Tab key and then type in the label, like “Background:”, then press Tab again. This won’t look good yet.
  2. Use the Format ▸ Paragraph ▸ Remove All Tab Stops menu command, to clear existing stops.
  3. Now right-click in the ruler (use View ▸ Text Editing ▸ Ruler if you don’t see it) at the point where you want the labels lined up. You can adjust this later, so don’t worry too much about getting it right. Select “Add Right Tab” from the contextual menu.
  4. A bit to the right of that, right-click again and add a normal left tab.

All right, now try adding a few new label lines, and type in enough dummy text to see some word wrap.

As you’ll note, the lines wrap all the way back to the beginning of the line, which you probably don’t want. So select all of the text in the editor, and on the ruler, drag the upward facing arrow on the far left so that it lines up with the left tab stop. You should now have something that looks a bit like this:

As I mentioned, you may need to move things around once you start adding more labels. The easiest way to do that is to select all of the lines, and use the Format ▸ Paragraph ▸ Tabs and Indents... menu command. Here you can numerically line things up. Just make sure the second tab stop (the left one) is larger than the first one (the right stop), and that the second one matches the Left indent.

You can also adjust things visually on the ruler itself, whatever suits you best.

3 Likes