Formatting first line indent

I’m new to Scrivener and I have read everything I can find and listened to the tutorials about formatting the first line indent. I’m following instructions, but it doesn’t stick no matter what I try. My formatting keeps defaulting back to 0.
Help!
Thanks,
Jennifer

How/where did you set the indent, and when, specifically, does it default back to 0?

We can do a zoom session if you want.

I set it at .25. It holds, then defaults and I have to keep setting it.

The easiest way to change the default formatting for new documents is to set up a paragraph the way you want it to look, and then use the Format ▸ Make Formatting Default command. In most cases you’ll want to save your settings for “All Projects”, when asked.

1 Like

You set it how and where? Where and when does it default to something else?

What would you do if the document had a carriage return (¶) to de-mark new paragraphs and wanted to remove the ¶ and use indents instead and apply this to the whole document?

Do you mean using two ¶ markers between lines (having an empty paragraph in between paragraphs)? If so you could just search for two of them and replace them with one.

Default formatting can be applied to existing text using these instructions.

1 Like

Yes. So I suppose I should first do a search and replace to eliminate one of the ¶s and then apply the new formatting to the whole document.

For digital texts I much prefer to use the extra ¶ but I have not decided on what I would do for hard copies. There are pros and cons.

Thank you.

It really doesn’t matter which order you do things in with something like this. Maybe I don’t understand the question, since one action involves changing the text and the other involves changing the way the text looks. They don’t conflict with one another or change how the other behaves.

Personally I prefer double-spacing, but that’s because I use plain-text processing for so much stuff. If I’m going to be using LaTeX and Markdown, I want to be able to easily copy and paste out of any editor or context and into a file, or vice versa. If I treated Scrivener as some kind of special environment that didn’t work like everything else, I’d have to constantly be searching and replacing line spacing.