Formatting inspector notes / comments

Keith (and others),

I’ve just noticed something regarding the comments / footnotes, and I hope you’ll forgive me if I wonder out loud. It seems that when you convert inline comments and notes to inspector comments and notes, they carry their formatting with them. I can see why that simplifies things (as opposed to automatically converting to the default format), though in my recent case I had a paragraph with hanging indents, which were not the most useful thing to carry over to the inspector comments. OK, one can convert to default formatting by hand if one selects the comment / footnote box, which is all well and good. But I note that although it is possible to select text inside the box, and the font and size on the main formatting bar become available to make changes to the text, the paragraph formatting remains greyed out. The same sort of thing applies to the context menu for the selected text: although the Apply Formatting Preset sub-menu is there, all of the choices are greyed out. This seems a little illogical at first sight, though I’m probably missing something that I should have noticed. For most cases it probably doesn’t make a lot of difference, but one scenario I have at the moment is a table in a footnote, and I suspect that the only way to reformat it might be to cut and paste it into TextEdit, reformat it, and paste it back into the footnote. I’ll have to try it. — Actually, I just have, and it seemed to work. — But it does seem rather a long way to adjust the margin on a footnote. What am I missing here?

I’m using your latest beta on the latest version of “Loin”.

Cheers, Martin.

Hi Martin,

It keeps all the formatting to ensure that it doesn’t lose anything. If you want to convert the formatting to the default inspector note style, select the comments in the inspector, ctrl-click on them and select “Convert to Default Formatting”.

Hope that helps.

All the best,
Keith

Keith,

Thanks, yes, I can see the reason for wanting to retain the formatting. But I was thinking of a scenario in which one might want to change some aspect of the formatting of an individual note or comment. If, say, you wanted to increase the margins, line spacing, or paragraph padding, of a particular note, or even a paragraph within a note (say you have an extended quotation that you want to block indent, for example) the only way you can do that at the moment (I believe) is to export it to TextEdit, and re-import it to Scrivener. It can be done, and you might not have to do it all that often, but it does seem a little long-winded. I suppose I was just wondering why it wasn’t possible to format these things in Scrivener itself (but don’t worry, I don’t need a technical explanation!) Perhaps it’s a sort of hangover from the days of only inline footnotes and comments. Unfortunately there are those of us who want to put tables, diagrams, pictures and other assorted rubbish in their footnotes and therefore can’t use inline notes, but might be glad of a little more control of the formatting in the inspector notes.

Incidentally, how about using a dagger instead of an asterisk as the default footnote marker. I know people can change it themselves, but it might avoid confusion with MMD syntax and other uses of asterisks. I don’t think the dagger is used for much else. Just a thought.

Cheers, Martin.

Edit: actually, part of what I just wrote is stupid – you could equally format some text in the main editor of Scrivener and then cut and paste it into an inspector note to get the right formatting. But it still seems a little strange to me that the paragraph formatting tools aren’t available in the notes and comments when the font tools are. But there may be good reasons for that!

Cheers again.

Well, Scrivener’s footnote support is quite basic anyway, because of the way it has to hack into Apple’s RTF code when exporting - so I’m not sure how well block quotes and tables would work in footnotes even if you inserted them in inline footnotes.

The dagger isn’t available in all fonts, so that’s not a good choice as a default.

All the best,
Keith

Ah, OK, another scenario in which we can thank Apple for not doing a proper job with RTF. I’ll join the band of protesters. I might have known it was something like that. And your point about the dagger is well taken. Apologies for eating into your Saturday!

All the best,
Martin

Can’t tell if this relates to this thread (which concern previous Scrivener and different issues.) But I just imported a table with comments from Word into Scrivener (2.6) and the comments came in as 2 column…side by side table cells…comments go into cell related to which column comment connected to. Tried highlight all comments and ctrl-click (Convert to default formatting) and nothing changes.)
[ignore words on table…not important so didn’t bother creating something “anonymous”] Thanks. David
EOAM Ep3 10-17 Rough Cut scriptDBpdf to word.doc (213 KB)
comment import table.jpg