Formatting of Standard Manuscript format changed in 0.3.5

I have been using the Scrivener Windows Beta for about four months now, and have compiled my work into a standard manuscript format PDF file every now and then. Before I updated, it was output in a format with a large font, large borders and large spacing. My work then equalled about 300 pages of manuscript. Now, when I compile with the same setting (Novel Standard Manuscript Format), Scrivener compiles a document with far smaller formatting, and is only 220 pages, despite having a larger word length. I can’t find anything about this on the 0.3.5 changes list.

I have done a bit of Googling, and it appears that the former formatting more closely resembles the accepted standard. Is this a conscious change to the software, or a bug, or am I thick and doing something wrong? I don’t mind printing less (or more, whatever the case may be), but I’d like to know if this really is the ‘standard’ format.

Thanks much for your help.

According to what I see, when I apply the “Novel Standard Manuscript Format” and then expand the compile window with the blue arrow button, everything looks to be in order. Page Settings show 1" margins all around, which is the standard, and the Formatting settings for the various text document types are all using double-spaced 12pt Courier. Are you seeing something else in these places?

I was wondering if in upgrading to the latest beta, the page size has been reset to A4 rather than US Letter or whatever you had it on before.

Mark

Mark might be on to something there. It should be US Letter, but you can verify that in the Page Settings compile option pane at the very top. There is a drop-down for “Paper size”.

Thanks for the help Amber and Mark, but I am still perplexed.

This is very odd. My ‘override font’ box was not ticked, yet the greyed-out area read Cordia New, not Courier New. I thought this shouldn’t be any great problem, as the box was not checked. I ticked it anyway, and changed the fond to Courier New, 12pt. Compiled, still nothing. The margins are okay, but the font is about half the size, maybe less.

Now for the bit I find supremely odd.
I decided to compile the document in Word to work out what sized font it actually was in. The Word document compiled perfectly. I tried the PDF again, without changing any settings but the output type, and the formatting was still larger.

So, it compiles in Standard Manuscript Format for .docx, but this larger format for .pdf. I have checked the last page of the PDF, and checked it against the Word document to prove I have not gone mad. The PDF is indeed larger, the it only holds about two paragraphs, whereas the other holds about four. The page count for the Word document is 363, whereas the PDF is only 220

Yeah, someone else pointed this out and I’ve been investigating, but I need to check in on this with Lee. It looks like the PDF isn’t compiling properly, even though the settings are right–that, as you say, the font is coming out a smaller size (which is likewise affecting the line-height multiple) so a PDF produces roughly 33 lines per page with the same settings that produce 25 lines when compiled to RTF. Some changes were made, and some bugs fixed, so some changes from what you saw in previous beta compiles won’t be unnatural–on the whole, things should be better–but this one looks like an accidental switch in the compiler.

I can confirm that as well. PDF appears to be 75%-ish of what it should be. My tests were done with RTF and Word & Scrivener, which with the exception of a few noted flaws with separators, runs the formatting settings perfectly.

Does your “Format As” still definitely say (precisely) “Novel Standard Manuscript Format”, or does it say something else? It sounds like you might have used the Save button to create a derivative “Standard Manuscript Format” in the past, and it’s not up to spec and could be causing other problems. It definitely should be overriding to CN12.

Note also that you’ll need to click in the sample text so it’s selected and then check the font–otherwise, with nothing selected or if you click in a blank area, it will probably say MS Dlg2 even though the text itself is Courier New.

Good idea, but no, I haven’t changed anything. It still says Novel Standard Manuscript Format.

Tried, still no luck. Despite the box’s assurances that the font is “Courier New [12]”, it does not override.

It seems this is a bug, and I’ll have to wait for the next update for it to be fixed. Thank you for the great response, everyone.

What font did you use in the editor? If you compile without overriding, it should use the font settings from the editor–if you have, e.g., TNR set in the editor, do you still get a compile in CN without the override? I get the original font, in that case, so if there is a bug here I’m still trying to track it down so Lee can fix it.

Apologies for the late reply.
I tried setting the font in my project to Courier New, 12pt (it was Helvetica 10pt in the editor), but it made no difference. I copied and pasted the PDF text into Word and discovered that the font is CourierNewRegular, 9.5pt, if that is any help.

Thank you. I guess my question was, size aside, if you have a font in the editor that isn’t Courier New and you compile with the “override text and notes formatting” box not checked, do you still get Courier New? But it sounds like you do. This is what I’m having trouble replicating, as when I compile without overriding the formatting I’m consistently getting the editor font. So I’m still working on tracking this down (as is Lee). I appreciate all the work you’ve put into testing this!

Apologies, I misunderstood your previous post.
I have tried unchecking the “override text and notes formatting” box and it does not override, but leaves the text as it is set in the editor.