Freeform corkboard - when?

Hi,

after hours of searching the web, I’ve found Scrivener. It seems to be the perfect application to support my writing plans. Thank you so much for creating it.

However, I’d really like to use the freeform corkboard. Unfortunately, I don’t own a Mac.
I guess that you probably don’t want to answer stupid questions like this one, but it is of some importance for me, so maybe you could perhaps, if you don’t mind, be so kind as to try to ignore its stupidity and answer my question anyway:
Could you at least approximately or vaguely specify when this feature will be added to the Windows version?

I saw that you use Qt, it should be quite easy to do with that QGraphicsScene framework… :smiley: :mrgreen:

Keep up the good work! :slight_smile:

Thanks for your interest in Scrivener! The freeform corkboard will be a 2.0 feature, as it was in the Mac, but beyond that I can’t say when exactly, since 2.0 is still something of a glimmer in the developer’s eye. :wink: Sometime in the next year-ish, possibly.

The next update for the current version, 1.5, will introduce OPML and .mm import and export, so that may open up some other avenues for you in place of the freeform corkboard.

Darn. I was 95% on buying. It sounds like the PC version isn’t quite as good as the mac. Oh well, back to Bloated old Word for now…

The way I see it, writing in Word is about a 2, writing in Scrivener for Windows is about an 8 and for the Mac is about a 10. Especially considering that one is only an 8 because it’s brand new software that hasn’t had enough time to grow to 10 yet, I don’t see how the selection of 2 is the best option in this equation?

But, I am of course quite biased. :smiling_imp:

If the functionality of the free-form corkboard is important to you, you’ll not get that anywhere close in Word.

You can get close on Scrivener for Windows… Create a Collection for the files you want to play with (possibly all your documents!), view that Collection in the Corkboard and rearrange to your heart’s content. THey’ll still snap to grid, but you’ll be able to put them in whatever order you like without affecting the actual position of files e intenn the Binder.

Oh, and you won’t have to wait too long. As one “Senior Lit’N’Lat Staffer” recently said:

Who said that? What? Where? I don’t see anything.

Since you were really helpful with my missing search field, I’ll reveal my source just this once. Keep it under your hat though.

Capture.JPG

(It was more interesting when it sounded like a secret rather than publicly available information.)

Oh well, now I’ve seen it, feel free to destroy the evidence. :slight_smile:

It was more than the corkboard. Most of what I hear in articles is followed by ‘not in the PC version yet, but coming soon’.
I’ve heard rumors that the pc version won’t create Mobi files until version 2.0 but can’t seem to find anythng definite. Most of the bloggers who write about using the program are using macs and assume that the pc version has the same functionality. The website indicates that you need kindlegen. I was interested when I heard of the export function, but dont want to start using a new program unless I know what the advantages are.

From what I’ve heard, it’s a good program, but I really dont want to start messing around with kindlegen.

I’m not sure where you heard that, but it’s not true. The Windows version has been able to make ePub and Mobi files for quite some time now. We rushed to get that in, knowing it is something many people would want.

You should know that Mac people have to download KindleGen as well. Everyone has to download it. Amazon won’t let anyone ship it as an installed part of their software. It must be a separate module that you individually download and install on your computer.

I’d question any piece of software that claims it can make a Kindle file without kindlegen. The format is going through revision to the newer KF8 format, and the older tools for making .mobi files now only do half of the job—the part that is going obsolete.

Besides, it’s a very low profile program. Once you install it and tell Scrivener where it is, and it works—that is the last you’ll ever need to deal with it. What you will want to get, that does have a program interface, is Kindle Previewer. That lets you view the Mobi files as though they were being displayed on the actual Kindle models, as well as the iOS apps. It’s the most accurate way to see what your book will look like in the hands of readers. It’s a very simple program though as well, nothing to worry about. You load the .mobi file with it, it looks like a Kindle, you’re done.

May I ask what you are looking for in a writing program like Scrivener? It sounds like you’re looking for a formatting tool. Scrivener has some significant tools, but it’s primary focus is more on the writing part of the job, rather than the part at the end when we tidy things up for publication. The KindleGen thing, for instance, is just an optional thing you can do one day if you want Kindle books. To see what the program is more about, you should go through the interactive tutorial with the 30 day demo. If you see the strengths of it while going through that, then maybe it can help you out. If not, well then you used a few afternoons to learn that you’ve already found your best tool. :slight_smile:

For me, it’s the free form cork board and custom meta data that I want. Seems like 2013 is the year that it will come, but at a paid upgrade.

This is the solution I use right now until the free form cork board comes to Windows.

listhings.com/

Thanks AmberV.
I was actually looking for something that would let me write the story and create the mobi file. I’ve been using Mobi pocket but that means I have to keep an older version of explorer running (unless they fixed that particular glitch).

Scrivener is definitely sounding better. Can the windows version insert cover art? I’ve heard some say that it wouldn’t but maybe that was a few versions ago.
Does it also generate TOC and NCX?

It it does, I’ll probably skip the trial version and go find my Visa right now!

Yes, it does cover art and takes care of all the gritty details like the NCX. If you’re picky, you might find they need a little post fixup. I’m not actually sure how MobiPocket works with the .mobi files that come out of Scrivener. You might find, if they don’t open, that the best way to tweak the book after compiling is to use .epub instead, edit in Sigil, and then open the .epub in KindlePreviewer to convert it to .mobi.

Now about these rumours you’ve been hearing… :wink: