Freezes/not responding when I take a snapshot (Scrivener 3)

Hi,

I´ve used Scrivener for years and love it, however the last few days when I take a snapshot of a text Scrivener locks up, I get the “work in progress” circle and it says “Scrivener is not responding”, and eventually I have to close it down and reopen it. Would be very grateful for help on how to resolve this!

Thank you
/AH

Hi.
The first thing you should do, is try with a new document you would have just added to your project, to see if you still get the issue.

• Add a new document
  • Input a bit of gibberish
  • Take snapshot.

. . . . . . . .

You could also try with a brand new disposable project.
. . . . . . . .

I would also check in File Explorer if the project’s folder’s permissions are OK.

. . . . . . . .

It is also a possibility that your anti-virus is causing this. (What’s yours ?)

Hi and thank you!

I tried adding a new text file and the same problem occurs when I try to take a snapshot of that. I also checked permissions in File Explorer and they look OK (there is an option “special permissions” (or similar, not sure of the exact term in English Windows) that is not checked, but all others are allowed as you show in your image above).

I tried creating a brand new test project and I immediately get the same problem with that one as well (and also with other previous projects I have).

I use ESET for anti-virus, it is a while since I installed it though and Scrivener has worked fine after that, until now. Not sure how to check if that suddenly causes a problem…

→ Sometimes the problem only appears after a virus definition update.
(As you can guess, it happened to me.)

I’ve never used that anti-virus, but if it is designed like most other anti-virus, it should have a place where you could bypass the ransomware protection for specific apps. Add Scrivener to the list of blocked and allowed apps, or exceptions, or exclusions, or whatever-they-named-it.

Thank you very much, I think that did it! :slight_smile: I added exception for Scrivener in ESET (somewhere or other, it is extremely hard to navigate and find things in ESET…), restarted computer and now it works fine again. I am very grateful, again thanks!

2 Likes

As a friendly notice, I also suggest to stick with Windows built-in antivirus. It offers the same level of protection of any other antivirus on the market, but it’s FREE and consume very little resources.

Ofc, there could be many reasons someone might choose to go after a paid solution, but if there are none other than “paid must be better”, that is plain false. The real antivirus is the user itself.

Cheers,

Matt

Source: 5400+ days since last virus with Defender.

Hi and thank you, yes, I know that Windows Defender is quite good these days as well. It is hard to know what is best - I got ESET last year at the recommendation of a quite knowledgeable friend who meant that it adds better security, but I don´t know… It has worked well until now (apart from being hard to navigate for an anti-virus amateur) but if I have more trouble I´ll probably remove it and go back to Defender.

1 Like

Hi AH,

I think I’d stick with the ESET if I were you, or even switch to Norton 360.

You can check why by looking at 2022 comparisons via Google. Summary seems to be Defender is improved, but doesn’t include things you need, like up-to-date constant threat monitoring. ESET is definitely better, but Norton is that much better yet, catching many more threats - 10/10 scores.

ESET was kind of an in thing years ago, perhaps when Norton went through a problematic period before its application was rewritten. But it always had the highest protection, and for the last decade has been completely smooth in all regards, including not interfering with Scrivener or others. You install it, and that’s it.

The one thing about Norton is that it’s also a marketing operation. They’ll try to attract you into longterm subscription dependence, extra abilities, etc… I just ignore all that, sign up originally with Paypal if rquired and then cancel their ability to bill it, and buy each year at some point looking like a good price on Amazon, install when the previous year is nearly up so that I get the days on the new license. This installs and licenses with no problem, and then the new version has become your installation.

The price this way comes to about half of list each year, which is a very reasonable price. And you get coverage for all platforms, not just Windows, up to the number you purchase the license for, usually 1, 3, 5, 10 or so.

We put a lot of personal effort into what we write, not to mention what else may be on the laptop or iPad or Android, so it seems quite worth having the best protection, at least here. We each can make our own selection, and that’s good too. not so?

1 Like

Hi narrsd,

Thank you, that is really good advice! Interesting to hear nice things about Norton now, I have used it before and had trouble with it, but that was years back when anti-virus was more troblesome in general. I didn´t know ESET at all when my friend recommended it, just went with his suggestion without doing much research myself. It is good to have suggestions for alternatives when this year´s subscription is over!

1 Like

AVG is free and it works good.
I have been using it for years, never got a virus.
I don’t trust windows’ built in anti-virus.

1 Like

Last OT by myself on this topic:

you guys will absolutely catch a virus/malware if you click the wrong stuff, that’s a fact. It really doesn’t matter how “cool”, “powerful”, “well proven (by who?)” antivirus you pay for. You’ll still catch a malware if you misbehave while surfing the web, that’s something NO antivirus corp on the planet will ever admit that.

So, you might just stick with your free AV solution (AVG, Defender, etc…) and live with it.

You just have to make a backup of your data. THAT is the real thing. There are more data lost since PCs were born by users who didn’t do a proper backup than a virus actually destroying the data, including ramsomware we see nowadays. Because the real hole in the security is the user itself, and there’s no software to fix him (yet).

I’m not preaching a specific solution, just suggesting to whoever hasn’t a strong opinion on the subject to keep their money and stick with a free solutions. And most importantly… just backup your data.

Cheers and happy writing to all,

Matt

2 Likes

Matt Armon, thanks, that is very good advice as well. I do take backup very seriously, I use cloud syncing as well as a “real” backup online service with history of deleted files etc (and pay for it, but for me it is worth it), and I also take local backups on usb disk occasionally.