Frequent Crashes in Mac 14.4.1

My Scrivener is the latest, 3.3.6 and my Mac is IOS 14.4.1 and I have plenty of space. But scrivener is crashing multiple times a day. Frequently is just as I’ve reached an important point in a paragraph. I can do the Reopen bit and the project reopens, and “reports” but I’m not getting anything back from L&L and have no idea why this is happening and what to do to stop it. HELP PLEASE!

Was Scrivener working before you applied the March 2024 version of Sonoma?

Hi @Cmtecca , I don’t see any messages in the support queue tied to the email address you’ve used for your forum account. Did you get an autoresponder reply when you sent your message? If not, then your message didn’t come through. We generally respond to all messages within 48 hours (weekends and holidays excluded).

If this issue seems contained to a specific project, please try resetting the project displays.

If the issue seems to occur regardless of which project is open, please try resetting preferences.

If none of these measures resolve the issue, please let me know where your projects are saved (local drive, external drive, cloud service—if cloud service, please specify which one) to facilitate further troubleshooting.

The other thing to consider is if you’ve recently brought any material into the project—a web archive, picture, copy and pasted text, even—that could be causing problems. If so, you can manually back up the project (File → Back Up → Back up to) and then delete any outside material you’ve recently brought in to see if that resolves the issue.

1 Like

As a further caveat for the future, remember to check your junk mailbox for any replies to email requests to support, particularly as they come from tenderapp.com, not literatureandlatte.com.

:slight_smile:
Mark

Hi Xiamenese,

Thanks for your suggestion. I did check, my Promotions and Social tabs in gmail, but no Tenderapp responses. When Scrivener crashes, it says it is reporting the problem and then says to push a recovery button. Doing that my project re opens and I can find the place I was working on. It opens to a different place, but I can shift to the sentences I was working on.

Charles

Hello Jen T,

Thank you for your reply and suggestions. As I replied to Xiamenese, when Scrivener crashes, it says it is reporting the problem and then says to push a recovery button. Doing that my project re opens and I can find the place I was working on. It opens to a different place, but I can shift to the sentences on which I was working. But there has been no notice of any reply.

I have a few images in this project. I’ve imported them as PDFs and then dragged to the place in my story that I need them. The project is short, about 3,000 words. If I delete them, I would have to add them back. Would that create the same problem all over? My project is in the Non-Fiction Format and I have not changed any of the default settings.

I’m in meetings much of today, but will try the steps you suggested on Saturday.

I’ll report back later.

Charles

Hi Charles,

Ah, I see! When you push that “report a problem” button, it does send a report to our developer for review (for the sake of bug fixes, etc.), but doesn’t come to our technical support team, so you shouldn’t expect any kind of reply from those. If you actually want to chat with us (no bots on our team, though you will get an autoresponder just to acknowledge receipt of your email) you’ll need to fill out our Contact Us form or send us an email.

You might take a peak at how large your PDF files are—those can get rather bloated. You should be fine, but if the PDF files are large and your processing power isn’t great or your computer is doing a lot of multitasking, that could cause issues. If the PDF’s are new and the crashing is new, I’d try taking them out and see how you fare. If that resolves the issue, bring them back in one at a time (try exporting as a smaller file size in Preview if they are really big, or export to a smaller file size for images like .jpg).

Best,
Jen

Good call! We are actually no longer in tenderapp, however! I believe our messages now appear as direct emails from literatureandlatte.com.

Just weighing in that I am having regular crashes (about once per day) in 14.4.1 as well. However, I have been running that release since it came out without problems until about a week ago. I’ve made no other changes to my system. Fortunately, between auto-save and snapshots, I’m not losing work—sometimes a handful of words—but on each re-launch it redoes the search indexes. I can turn in on logging and provide the Apple crash report text if useful.

Just had two in a row a minute apart. Still not losing work, just time, and adding aggravation. Will file a ticket.