Frequent Special Symbols Usage

I understand the essence of Scrivener is to optimize the writing process. To me that means only ever doing one of two things recursively - Thinking, or Typing using only a keyboard.
I am writing a book on Mathematical Science. That requires lots of frequent use of special symbols. Using the standard Insert Symbol process several times in a sentence slows down typing enormously. Using Unicode Input requires accurately memorizing the correct code for each symbol. Same Problem.
Eventually I realized that in OSX I could simply define my own brief mnemonic for each frequently used symbol as a Keyboard Text auto-correct item. Problem solved. I type minf and get the infinity symbol in my text.
New hardware is forcing a switch to the Windows version which I am currently evaluating via a trial copy.
Unlike OSX, WIN 10 requires Scrivener to have implemented an equally flexible Auto-Correct feature internal to it (MicroSoft have done so only in Office). But I believe it is doable by combining Language extensions with Hardware Keyboard auto-correct etc.
Does Scrivener 3 have one now or planned ?

That is indeed a blindspot in the OS that we’ve corrected for. In File ▸ Options... go into the Corrections tab, and at the very bottom set Enable additional substitutions. This should be very similar to what you are used to with the tool available in macOS, under System Preferences: Keyboard: Text.

Beyond that, there are system-wide tools you can install that do this and more. I’m not too familiar with the landscape on Windows, but I’ve been using a cross-platform tool called Espanso that can add these kinds of substitutions to all your software.

1 Like

Thanks. That’s great news. I’ll also have a look at Espanso.
I think the “Blind” spot is deliberate policy by Microsoft to protect their own product (WORD has the feature) from competition like OpenOffice and products like Scrivener etc. given that some countries e.g. Italy, I believe. have had the good sense to adopt Open Software as the Official System for Governmemt usage. I have come across other issues that seem like marketing tactics to me.

A refinement of my original issue. Actually when typing I prefer to work with Auto-correct off (until final draft stage) - but still using my newly defined text shortcuts . I’ll try out your feature and see how I go.

Yeah, there are a number of things like that where it would be really nice if the system provided more support to software (like spell check and good offline dictionaries, small companies like us are stuck with public domain stuff from ages ago). Microsoft is a lot better than they used to be a few decades ago, but they do still play games.

I think you’ll be fine, if I understand correctly. There is auto-correct, which is tied into the spell check engine, then auto-complete which is a project specific feature that is on-demand by default (and only completes what you start typing rather than substituting). Neither of those are linked with the “additional substitutions” feature, and all three can be used independently.

Even better than I hoped. Maybe now I can start getting back to what would be writers actually do - think about actually writing something down.

1 Like

Perhaps you = L & L might start a topic on “MAC to Windows - User Migration issues” (? and vice-versa). What is in the manual etc. is focussed on V1 - V3 issues and is of little relevance.
Presumably there is a lot of “corporate memory” on that subject given the delayed release schedule. From now on there may also be a substantial growth in Community knowledge.

There is article on cross-platform compatibility that would go over some of these things, but nothing comprehensive like I think you’re looking for.

How could new hardware force that?

Perhaps I should have been more explicit and included the words “non Apple” between “new” and “hardware”. Lots of people including me currently use Scrivener on Macs. Things change. Hardware ages; and its OS becomes unsupported = deliberate Apple Policy. Sometimes new hardware is a given E.G A change of job. Or if in the market for replacement hardware, the conviction that Microsoft offers much better value for money at any specific time.
PLEASE: No responses from Apple diehards; or doomsayers talking about Windows 11.

That reasonably assumes that the User Environment change issues are outside an App Developers jurisdiction.

Dealing with non-application issues is purely a community of users doing the switch issue. It needs its own topic - IFF there is sufficient Interest.

If I understand you correctly, I agree. There have been a few lengthy discussions here on the forum on the sorts of environmental changes one should be aware of when switching platforms. Unfortunately I think most, if not all, are geared from the other direction though. If I had to guess, I would say it has less to do with how often that happens, and more to do with how ubiquitous Windows is. As you put in response above, even those that prefer Macs may still have to use a PC at work. We don’t always have control over that, and very often when we don’t, it’s a PC we’re sitting in front of.

But if you’re looking for advice from the Windows community, which is strong here, I’m sure creating a topic with a clear heading like that would bring in folks willing to help with any learning curves and questions you may have. Sounds like it would be a good resource to me, and it would be nice to have a thread like that to point people toward.