Front Matter Formatting

Hi there,

Does anyone know how to make sure that formatting for Front Matter has its own set of parameters?
Every time I compile my novel, it uses the Compile Formatting that I have used for the rest of the novel.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards

There are a couple of things you can do.

1. Make sure that “Compile As-Is” is ticked for your Front Matter documents (accessible either in the Inspector for each document, or through the “Contents” tab of the Comile dialog). This will enable you to use the Editor as a WYSIWYG editor for these documents and have those formats preserved in the final output.

2. Under the “Title Adjustments” tab in the Compile dialog there are checkbox options which will stop Scrivener from adding the same title prefixes and suffixes (eg, Chapter numbers, etc) that it does for the rest of the manuscript.

3. Under the “Page Settings” tab in the Compile dialog you can (by clicking on the button marked “First Pages” in the middle of the window) put in different header and footer options for your front matter, including removing things like page numbers completely.

4. In addition / as an alternative to these, you can play with your binder structure to make sure that your Front Pages documents are at a different level to everything else in your manuscript. That way you will be able to set up specific compile settings that just apply to those sections (rather than use the “As-Is” option mentioned at point 1, above).

Hope that helps.

It would be nice if we could do that in the windows version. I can’t find that option.