"Front Matter" & Prologue

I have a prologue that I want to include but do not want it to mess up my chapter titles and numbers. I noted in the list of differences that it was stated the Windows version had no “concept of front matter.”

Does this mean I’m kinda screwed or do I need to know something I don’t? (Feel free to explain how to have a prologue in the Windows-based version if you know.)

Thanks so much.

I think the basic answer is to organize your prologue differently than your chapters. So, if you have a folder for each chapter, and documents inside it, then write your prologue as single document at the same level as the folders. Then in your compile settings make sure that “level 1” documents don’t get the “CHAPTER <$N>” treatment.

You could also use document stacks (like a folder, except the icon looks like a stack of papers), which can be treated differently than chapter folders. Or if you have a series of documents at “level 1”, where each document is a chapter, then put your front-matter in a folder at the beginning of the draft, and set your compile settings to treat “level 2” documents differently than your “level 1” chapter documents.

Scrivener’s very flexible, so there’s no one path to your desired output; it all depends on how you organize your draft and your compile settings.

Another way to approach this, and this is how many Mac people went about it before there was a dedicated front matter feature (which is somewhat new) is to set your special documents to Compile As-Is. This means you need to format them in accordance with your output format, if you are using “Override text and notes formatting”, but the main thing you are going for with this feature is that it also disables any normal Formatting rules, such as whether a Title is output or if it has a prefix/suffix. So you’d format your title in the Prologue document as visible text, and then let the Formatting engine generate the numbered titles for the rest of the book.

The Levels trick as described above lets you continue to utilise the format override, so in general I would say it is superior, but if figuring out levels is feeling too much like solving a puzzle, As-Is is pretty straightforward.

I will need to spend some time investigating what you suggested.

Miles to go before I sleep.

Hey that sounds like a great line for a poem…

You know what they say about the woods.