ftp transfer to webDAV box.net

Does anybody know of a way to upload a scrivener project to web based backup space (in my case box.net) that maintains the integrity of the project rather than splitting it into many single files each containing one element of the project. Not only does backing up this way take literally hours, but trying to restore from such a backup looks pretty impossible.

Thanks.

Oops! Wrong forum but I can’t work out how to move it to Technical Support.

Zip the project using File|Save as Backup, and upload the zip file.

Sorry, it’s File|Backup Project To…

If you have your WebDAV share mounted through the finder, you can back up directly to that.

Right! That’s excellent and does the job. Thanks. I guess there isn’t a way to just upload the scrivener project without zipping, which I would have loved as I could do incremental backups. Ah well …

Hmm, I was just trying box.net, too, and it was taking hours. Do you really think it’d be “impossible” to restore from a backed up, zipped Scrivener file, if the worst happened?

Also, a related backup question: I only need to back up the .scriv files in each project folder in the finder, yes? Unlike DevonNote, where (I think) you have to backup the whole database from the Library/ application support / devon folder.

I may try some of the other free online backup services – anybody know of any that are faster than box.net?This article recommends several alternatives, and I know there are dozens more.

Brett, that is correct. Everything that a project needs is located in the project file itself. If your computer dies, and all you have are Scrivener project backups, you’ll notice the window settings revert to default – that the only thing you’ll miss.

But, there are other Scrivener auxilliary locations that should probably be backed up every now and then (assuming your home folder does not get backed up at a regular interval). ~Library/Application Support/Scrivener contains your templates, and if you have customised MultiMarkdown at all for Scrivener projects, you’ll probably want to grab ~/Library/Application Support/MultiMarkdown, too.

[quote=“brett”]
Hmm, I was just trying box.net, too, and it was taking hours. Do you really think it’d be “impossible” to restore from a backed up, zipped Scrivener file, if the worst happened? /quote]

The zip versions back up and restore fine. :slight_smile: