Full Screen Access on Second Monitor

Hello,

Trying out Scrivener 2’s full screen on an MBP with OSX 10.6.4. When document is on main laptop screen, the full screen HUD and menu bar are accessible by leaving the mouse there for couple of seconds.

When I do that on the external monitor though, it doesn’t work. Is there any specific command to run in this case?

Thank you

Rollo

The menu bar is always on the main screen - that’s just the way it is in OS X. I’m not sure if you can set it up to move to a different screen. If by HUD you mean the inspector HUD, that will always open in the last position it was used in (or should do), so just move it where you want it.
Best,
Keith

P.S. Not sure why this is in the bug hunt forum?

Hi KB,

You’re right regarding the menu bar - no way to get it to show on the second monitor on OSX.

Now, regarding the Full Screen HUD, as explained in the help file, it is the toolbar which displays at the bottom of the screen for a few seconds when you enter full screen mode. Then it slides off. To retrieve it, slide the mouse pointing down to the bottom of the screen and let it sit for a moment.
This doesn’t work when you’re working full screen on the second monitor - whether your point your mouse down on the first or the second monitor actually. Unless there’s a specific command to use in that context, it just is not possible to retrieve the Full Screen HUD.
That’s also why my post is sitting in the bug hunt forum.

Thanks!
Rollo

Ah, now I see what you mean. This is a strange one - I used to get this bug report occasionally for version 1, too, but I’ve never been able to reproduce it. When I run full screen on my secondary monitor, the control panel always appears exactly where it is supposed to. Is there anything specific I need to do to reproduce this?

Thanks!
Keith

I just wanted to add a side-note. When you have a second display in OS X, you can open the System Preferences app and choose Display preferences. There will be a section that shows both displays, and how they are arranged relative to one another. On one of those rectangular representations of your screens, you will see a white bar at the top. Drag that to the other screen to make the menu appear there. That will then be your main screen, and I’m pretty sure your dock will also move to that screen.

Hi Keith,

Thanks for your proposal, although I’m not quite sure - I didn’t do anything specific myself. As I said, when I go full screen on the second monitor, the HUD appears at the bottom as it should, and disappears quickly. Then when I point the mouse to the bottom of the screen, nothing happens. The stubborn HUD doesn’t reappear!
Also, I’ve tried pointing the mouse right at it when it first appear upon entering full screen, in the hope it will stay there as long as the mouse pointer is on it - no luck, it disappears the same as if the mouse wasn’t there.

I’ll play a bit with the options reported by Robert - even though I don’t want to move my main screen to the second monitor - and report back here on any improvement.

In the meantime, is there a shortcut to have the full screen HUD appear? Also, let me know of any test / report / screenshot I can do for you to help narrow it down somehow.

Thanks!

Rollo

Actually, could you take a screenshot of your screen set-up in system preferences - how the screens are arranged relative to each other? I checked the code and couldn’t see anything off, but it could be a factor.

Thanks,
Keith

Hello Keith,

Here are the screenshots of screen settings: LCD is the laptop and is left hand-side, SyncMaster is second monitor and is right hand-side.
I hope it’ll help. Don’t hesitate to ask for more info.

Thank you,
Rollo
Archive.zip (220 KB)

Hi Tomazi,

Many thanks for taking the time to take some screenshots. The strange thing is that these are almost identical to my set-up, so I’m not sure what the difference is. I’ll try out these exact settings though.

If I set up a special build of Scrivener that would output some information that might give me a better clue as to what’s going on, would you be prepared to download it, read the necessary information from the console (I’ll explain how to do that) and send it to me? Let me know and I’ll put together a version of Scrivener that will tell me what is happening when you move the mouse to the bottom of the screen, where the control panel is and so on.

Many thanks again!

All the best,
Keith

Hi Keith,

Yes sure, no problem. I’ll be happy to help. Please send the info once the debug version is ready to test.

Thank you,
Rollo

Great! Thank you, much appreciated.

Please download and run this version of Scrivener:

literatureandlatte.com/downl … FSTest.zip

Once you’ve unzipped and launched it, please follow these steps:

1. From your ~/Applications/Utilities folder, launch Console.app. Ensure “All Messages” is selected in the list on the left, and type “Scrivener” into the search field in the toolbar to filter it so that it only shows all messages pertaining to Scrivener, like this:

1. Returning to full screen, enter full screen mode on your external monitor using the set-up in which the control panel never opens. Wait for five seconds before doing anything else (just to allow the time in which the control panel normally appears automatically and then hide itself again upon first entering full screen to pass).

2. Move the cursor right to the bottom of the screen, where the control panel should appear when working properly. Once the cursor is right at the bottom of the screen, let go of the mouse to leave it there. (And wait a second just to double-check that the control panel does not appear.)

3. Hit the Escape button to leave full screen (the cursor should still be at the bottom of the screen at this point).

4. Return to Console.app. There should be loads of messages reported there along the lines of “{mouseLoc: {1036, 1}, fs window frame: {{0, 0}, {1920, 1200}}}” and “mouse is moving in full screen area”. This is the information that - I hope! - will allow me to debug this.

5. Click on any of the blue and white rows in the Console, then hit cmd-A to select all, then hit cmd-C to copy them to the pasteboard.

6. Paste the results in your reply.

With a bit of luck, this will let me know at which point the control panel code is failing on your set-up.

After you’ve done the above, you may wish to revert to the version of Scrivener 2.0 you were using before, otherwise all that gunk that’s getting written to the console for testing purposes might slow down your full screen experience.

Thanks again!

All the best,
Keith

Hi Keith,

Here’s the report of my investigations with the new debug version.

With the regular version, when opening a document in full screen on my second monitor, the page (in white) never reaches down to the bottom of the screen. It is scrolled upwards, actually hiding the top lines of the document.
With the debug version, when opening the same document in full screen on my second monitor, the page actually is centered vertically and reaches down to the bottom of the screen. The top of the page is not hidden. When I put the mouse pointer at the bottom of the screen on the black background, nothing happens - the control panel or HUD doesn’t show up. But, when the mouse pointer reaches down the bottom of the screen while being on the document, the HUD shows up as it should.

After this experiment, I followed your test workflow with some changes. Here’s the storyline which will help you read the attached log:

• 10:38:22 to 10:38:44, full screen mode on the second monitor, shaking the mouse pointer in all directions on the black background. Pointing the mouse to the bottom of the screen for a few seconds, but the HUD doesn’t show up. You’ll see almost no mouse messages reported in the log though.
  • 10:38:44 to 10:39:03, doing the same with the mouse pointer, but this time on the white page area. Lots of mouse messages.
  • 10:39:03 to 10:39:18, the mouse pointer goes down to the bottom of the screen while being on the white page area, and the HUD displays. Related messages are reported in the log.
  • 10:39:18 to 10:39:29, the mouse leaves the HUD and goes back to the white page area. The HUD hides itself although I don’t think there is a message for this in the log.
  • Then I hit escape and quit Scrivener.

Hope this helps. As you saw, there is definitely an improvement with the new version: the document is showing vertically in its entirety while in full screen mode on the second monitor, and I can access the control panel from there.

Let me know if you need more details on any of the above.

Thank you!

Rollo
Scrivener Messages.log.zip (3.74 KB)

Hi Rollo,

Many thanks for taking the time to record your results. The paper height issue was a known bug which has been fixed, by the way, as you noticed. I’m still a bit confused because it was hard to gauge which readings were the ones that were right at the bottom of the screen in the black area when the full screen control panel should come up but doesn’t, but could you please try downloading this version:

literatureandlatte.com/downl … STest2.zip

I’ve made one change to the control panel detection code that may help (but it may not).

If that doesn’t work, could you please do the same again with the console, but this time, after relaunching Scrivener, make sure the cursor is very near the bottom of the screen where the black area would be before launching full screen, then move the cursor to the very bottom so that the control panel should appear, and then just move it up and down only by a few pixels, still at the bottom of the screen, and then exit full screen without moving the mouse elsewhere.

The reason I ask for this is because what I really need is a set of readings that tell me where Scrivener thinks the cursor and the bottom of the screen are in this situation.

Thanks again!

All the best,
Keith

Hi again Keith,

I’ve done what you said using the new release. The control panel doesn’t show - or rather, it shows originally upon entering full screen, but refuses to show again whenever I put the mouse pointer to the bottom of the screen (black area).

The test steps (in bracket the time in console log entries which I pasted at the bottom of the post)
1- Put the pointer near the bottom of the screen (black area) in normal mode [3:59:24]
2- Triggered full screen mode using option + CMD + F [3:59:24]
3- The control panel appeared for a few seconds then hid itself [3:59:26]
4- Put the mouse pointer down a few pixels to the bottom (black area) [not recorded in the log; it looks like these moves on the black area aren’t captured]
5- Moving the mouse up and down a bit, waiting for the control panel. It didn’t show up [nothing in the log]
6- Quit the full screen mode [3:59:55]

Hope this helps!

Thanks,
Rollo

11/10/10 3:59:24 PM Scrivener[7058] {
mouseLoc: {1831, 159}
fs screen frame: {{1680, 150}, {1440, 900}}
window frame: {{1680, 150}, {1440, 900}}
}
}
}
11/10/10 3:59:26 PM Scrivener[7058] {
}
11/10/10 3:59:55 PM Scrivener[7058] {
mouseLoc: {1831, 151}
}

Hi Rollo,

Curious - it sounds as though the “mouse moved” events aren’t getting triggered at all in that area, which is…Weird.

Okay, one more build to try:

literatureandlatte.com/downl … STest3.zip

There are no console messages to look out for this time - I’ve just change the place the control panel gets called to see if it makes a difference. Let me know how you get on (I’m not hopeful!).

Thanks and all the best,
Keith

Hello Keith,

Same behavior as with previous version. Once in full screen, the control panel:
1- shows then hides itself
2- will show when mouse pointer reaches bottom of screen while on document (white area)
3- won’t show no matter what when mouse pointer reaches bottom of screen while on background (black area).

However, the improvement you added with the full document display when in full screen (original version displayed it off vertically) makes behavior #2 above possible - which is a huge one: at least now I can display the control panel.
So this is an acceptable workaround for me, and I’d be fine with closing the ticket.

I’d understand you want to have it completely fixed, but as I got it it’s not something you can reproduce easily, maybe it’s only me having it with my secondary display (Samsung SyncMaster 931bw).
Your call. If you want to pursue it, then I’ll be glad to help you with the testing.

Thanks a lot for your time and care, this renders a wonderful software even more so!

Rollo

Ha, now the control panel is only showing in the white area for me! But that’s a good thing… Because at least now I have reproducible case, even though it’s only with this new code. So I definitely want to fix this properly. I’ll get back to you with another build soon.
Thanks,
Keith

Okay, another one to try:

literatureandlatte.com/downl … acking.zip

This one uses a completely different method for popping up the control panel (courtesy of Matt Gemmell, a Cocoa guy who provides various excellent free code snippets on his site and who, along with Andy Matutschak, creator of the Sparkle automatic software updater that just about everybody uses, should really be knighted for services to the Cocoa development community).

Anyway, let me know how it goes! I have my fingers crossed on this one…

All the best,
Keith

Wouldn’t it be easier to type if you uncrossed them?

That makes sense of a lot.