Full special character alt+code support

I realized a little while ago that the “special character” selection in Scrivener for Windows 1.9.8 isn’t fully supporting the whole alt+code set. As I write both fiction and non-fiction and use varies quite a lot, special characters can be very useful at times. And for some of the stuff I do, I love being able to use functions that will transform a bit of text to a certain symbol. Like .em for creating an em dash when I need one while writing fiction. But then I realized I was working on a story just recently and I needed to use a transgender symbol in text (I’m a sexologist after all, so that isn’t really such an unusual thing for me, and it really shouldn’t have to be for anyone else either, today). Symbols like that one aren’t supported at all. In fact, I can’t even add it by copying the sign from the web or another document into Scrivener. Which… kind of complicated the work I had to have done - with a deadline. Huge bummer.

Yeah, yeah… I solved it. By using MSWord instead. But should I really need to? I love working in Scrivener. And regardless of what kind of output I intend or what kind of job it is, I want to have stuff centered around the software. But at times, like these, it just isn’t possible.

Would there be any chance in the World that some sort of better support for special symbols, alt codes and such will be supported? And how tough a job and workload for you guys would that end up meaning?

Really thankful if you look into it.

Not all fonts are created equal. Some fonts contain all the accented characters you can imagine, and a lot of symbols, while others only provide a subset, leaving you with something strange instead of what you’re expecting.

When it comes to certain symbols, they are only available in “symbol fonts.” While writing some texts, I needed some special symbols, and could only find them in special fonts. Once you install them, you can use these symbols, but you must remember to change the font for that one symbol in your sentence or paragraph.

Try Libertine or DejaVu Sans (free fonts), they both have the Unicode glyph (U+26A7). I prefer Libertine’s, the DejaVu glyph looks a bit squished to me, to fit with its compact base character width.