Full support for Fountain (screenwriting syntax)

Will the Scrivener team consider supporting the Fountain syntax for screenwriters who use Scrivener?

Link for developers: fountain.io/developers

It’s easy to use Scrivener and export the text to applications that support fountain, but in order to stay in Scrivener longer, being able to write in Fountain, and see what the result, is the ideal solution.

Something like how Highland does it, but for Windows, Mac and Linux: johnaugust.com/2012/highland-for-all

Being able to take advantage of Scriveners outlining tools, cork board etc. and not leave the application is the dream. Possible?

It seems like you didn’t search too far on the forum :smiley: !

https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/copy-paste-as-fountain/21230/1

Martin.

The Mac version has full Fountain support in the next update; the Windows version will follow, but not for a while.

Excellent!

Two things I’ve noticed in the present version:

Scene headings (preceded by EXT. or an initial full stop) are rendered with capitals if I open the document in, i.e., Highland, but in lower case (or whatever I’ve written it in) in Scrivener.

Text preceded with = or #, ## etc. does not (quite correctly) show up in Scrivener script format. Is it possible to preserve whatever structural or general comments I’ve made in some other way, as notes or something?

I’ll fix the capitalisation. As for the = and # thing, that only works if you import the files using Import & Split.

All the best,
Keith

Perfect!

So I can’t get it when syncronising with external folder? Well, you can’t get it all I suppose.

Thanks,
Mats

No, because = is for synopses and # is for section titles, and external folder doesn’t sync synopses and the titles are handled by the file title. If you just want to add notes, use boneyard marker ( /* and */ ).

All the best,
Keith

So, that’s what I will do.

Cheers,
Mats

The [[script notes]] syntax will also come in as annotations.

Just wanted to thank you very much for the Fountain support in the latest update. Works perfectly.

Cheers,
Mats

Glad you like it! And thanks for pointing out the bug that was fixed for the update. :slight_smile:

Thank you! I think I found another “bug”, but this one you share with Highland and Final Draft and I don’t know who else. Perhaps it’s just me being final daft – but to me it would be more logical that “INT.” and “EXT.” were treated as scene headings (which they are, capitalized and all) while lines preceded by full stop should be classified as “shots”. Not much practical difference, but when there are two different chategories, why not use them.

But as long as you are in sync with Final Draft and the rest, I suppose it’s just to forget about it…

Cheers,
Mats

That is quite the opposite of a bug. :slight_smile: It’s part of Fountain’s syntax:

fountain.io/syntax

All the best,
Keith

Thats why I put “bug” in quotes.
Thing is, Fountain’s syntax doesn’t mention “SHOT” as a script element, while Final Draft and Scrivener does so. In the example scripts that Fountain provides, they use “scene headings” (with full stop) as you would use “shot” when writing in Scrivener. Even if Fountain doesn’t make a distinction between a slug line and a shot, it could be useful (if in no way crucial) if Scrivener did it.

Cheers,
Mats

This would be something worth bringing up with the Fountain creators - you are right that Fountsin doesn’t support “Shot” elements, and Scrivener has to follow the syntax and assign anything with a period in front as scene heading in order to adhere to the syntax. If Scrivener did otherwise, it would be creating its own variant if Fountain, essentially, which may annoy some users. So what you want really needs to come from Fountain itself
All the best,
Keith

Excuse me for kicking to life an ancient thread, but this question has got new life for me and possibly to fellow fountaineers now as we also have Slugline, a new screenwriting app built on the Fountain syntax.

True, Slugline is based on the Fountain syntax, and doesn’t allow for “shots”. But, as they write in their Help section:

As scripts written in Scrivener can be exported to i.e. Final Draft, that just like Scrivener “supports the notion of a “Shot” element”, it could be useful to be able to create “Shots” in Fountain. The most logical way being that Scrivener translates lines preceded by a full stop, or “Forced Scene Headings”, to Shots. Nothing would stop Scrivener from at least offering this option.

This is what one of the creators of Fountain has to say on the Fountain forum:

(my emphasis)

Could be interesting to hear what others using both Scrivener and Fountain for scriptwriting have to say about it. Would it be useful, or is it just me finding new ways to procrastinate?

Cheers,
Mats