Fullscreen mode, multi-monitor and changing items

Hi. First time caller, long time listener

:wink:

Anyway, I’m using Scrivener to type up my Masters dissertation and I’m running in Fullscreen mode with my iMac as the fullscreen editor, and the secondary monitor still showing the Scrivener main window (plus Safari etc…)

However, I can’t seem to get the Fullscreen window to stay linked to the item in the binder that I have selected. It may be because of the way I’m working with Scrivener (I’m quite happy to change if there is a better way) but here’s how I’m working and what the problem is:

I use TEXT entries in the binder (that are created with the green + button on the toolbar) as Chapter and sub-chapter headings. Then in each one of these text entries I type up the contents of that sub chapter.

i.e.

Chapter 2

etc…

However, when I write I tend to jump around alot, copy/paste and move and rename some of these text entries to be sub-chapters into a different order. However when I do this on the main scrivener window application, the new text ‘file/entry’ that has been selected is not shown in the Fullscreen view - that still shows the only the one that is highlighted when I started Fullscreen mode.

Now I know that I’ve read a post by AmberV (who is like totally uber-helpful btw) and she said to highlight all the possible text entries before going fullscreen and then using keys to nav up/down that list. But that won’t help me, as sometimes I have to create a new sub-chapter as I’m typing, or because I move them around.

It’s just breaking my writing flow to keep going in / out of fullscreen mode and highlighting different text entries to do what I need to do.

Phew, so now that I’ve stopped waffling - is there anything that will work?

Thanks

Elphaba

You might have better luck using Edit Scrivenings before going into Full Screen. Here is a sample scenario that might help you out.

With a Binder order that looks like this:

Chapter 2 (text) Section 2.1 (text) Section 2.2 (text) Section 2.3 (text)

Select Chapter 2 in the Binder and then press Cmd-Opt-1. This will combine the text of not only the selected text entry, but all of the text entries beneath it as well (incidentally, folders likewise, at this level of the game, text and folders are essentially identical, and Edit Scrivenings will show the text contents for folders along with text seamlessly). Now press Cmd-Opt-F to enter Full Screen.

If you aren’t familiar, this mode will let you edit multiple entries at once as though they were a single text file, without destroying the separations between them. When you dismiss the E.S. session, all of the changes you made will already be made to the underlying files in the Binder. Thus you can cut and paste between entries and so on.

Now here is a little trick that might be of further benefit to you. Say you want to add a new section between 2.2 and 2.3. Simply place the editing caret anywhere in the text for 2.2, and press Cmd-N to create a new text document (Cmd-Opt-N to create a folder). Instantly, you should see a new alternating background entry appear below the 2.2 text. For now you can just ignore what is happening in the Binder and focus on writing and editing.

When you go back out of Full Screen, you note that wherever you created a new text entry, you’ll have an “Untitled” entry in the correct position. If you’d rather title things while working in Full Screen, this is easy to do. Just type in the desired title anywhere, select it, and press Cmd-Opt-Shift-T to set the title of the document to the selection. You can then safely delete the title text if you wish. So while slightly indirect, this allows you to easily rename entries as well. This will be made easier in the next version of Scrivener, which will show entry titles in the Edit Scrivening text itself using a larger font. Renaming sections will then just be a matter of typing in the text editor.

Splitting can also be done, just place the caret as per normal and press Cmd-K. The resulting adjacent entries will be show in E.S.

Currently, the main limitations of working this way are an inability to move documents up or down in relation to one another, and merging. Another limitation is that it requires you to be in “container mode” rather than arbitrary selection mode, in terms of how Edit Scrivenings is accessed. In plain English, this means you need to follow the above scenario of how things are arranged in the Binder, and access E.S. by selecting the container. Selecting ten adjacent documents and using Cmd-Opt-4 to edit them together will not allow spontaneous entry creation. The reasoning here is that the Cmd-Opt-4 method allows non-linear editing. You can select a scattering of documents that might be hundreds of pages apart. When pressing Cmd-N, Scrivener would have no clue where to put the new file.

Briefly, all of this is pushing the edge of what Full Screen is intended to address. It really isn’t meant to be an editing platform, but a pure writing environment where book structure is largely ignored. Access to Cmd-N gives you the ability to spontaneous generate new sections in the book structure, but very little attention is given to the structure when you do this. Normally, pressing Cmd-N goes straight to the title, but with this method you just keep on typing and ignore the title entirely (above trick aside).

Editing (where the structure of the book is being manipulated) is in general always going to be easier in standard editor mode.

Hi,

Apologies to Amber, as it’s late here and I’m about to watch the second disc of Solaris, so I haven’t read her reply so she may already have said exactly what I’m about to say. :slight_smile: To switch documents in full screen mode from the main window, you should just be able to Opt-click on items in the binder, and that should open the document in full screen. I haven’t got my dual screen set up at the moment so I can’t double-check that this works at the moment, but reminding myself of the code, that’s certainly what is supposed to happen. :slight_smile:

All the best,
Keith

Opt-Click!!!

That’'s it!!!

Sorry I totally missed that shortcut… :blush:

Thank you both for your responses and for sorting this out for me.

Phew! Glad it’s working! I can’t remember whether it’s documented properly, actually. It may be in the Help file, or it may be one of those things that got added to the program but never to the Help file, in which case it’s sort of a “secret” feature. :slight_smile:

All the best,
Keith

If you are looking for the long and entirely off-topic evolution (ha) of this thread, go here. :slight_smile: