Gasbyting! Font keeps reverting after document creation

Been using Scriv for years. This has been happening for a few months.

I use Palatino as my font.
I create a new doc in my project – it is automatically Palatino.
Open the doc the next day and it is in Courier.

This is driving me bananas. Any ideas?

Posting w/o pic of settings b/c forum won’t allow it.

Which version of MacOS, which version of Scrivener?

One project or all projects?

Not a moderator so can’t help withpermissions for posting screenshots.

:slight_smile:
Mark

Thanks, Mark.

Ventura 13.4 and Scrivener 3.3.6.

Lordy, I’m only working on one project and it’s killing me!

That will help people to help you. I’ve never encountered any such thing.

First off, I’d try creating a new project, dragging some of the misbehaving documents into that to see if the same problem happens there.

If it doesn’t, you could either:

a. reconstruct the whole thing in the new project;
b. uninstall and re-install Scrivener, having saved your Preferences/Settings etc. first, so that you can re-instate them without having to do it bit by bit;
c. try resetting the original project's display settings.

[Resetting a Project's Display Settings / macOS: Troubleshooting / Knowledge Base - Literature and Latte Support ](Resetting a Project's Display Settings / macOS: Troubleshooting / Knowledge Base - Literature and Latte Support. Duplicate the project first for safety.

If the new project also misbehaves, uninstall Scrivener and re-install. If it still misbehaves, open a support ticket. But in the meantime, someone from the support staff may join in and be able to give you more focussed advice.

Good luck :slight_smile:

Mark

There are newer versions of macOS available now. I’m running 13.6.3 with no problems (seen) with Scrivener. Perhaps might make a difference?

Reverting to Courier is odd (Helvetica would be a more normal fallback), but any kind of spontaneous font assignment loss probably has less to do with Scrivener and more to do with the state of the system. Your cached copy of Palatino could be corrupt, for example, and failing to load, leading to a fallback scenario.

Dwelling on Courier for one moment though, do make sure you aren’t in scriptwriting mode, most easily discerned by the state of the footer bar showing scriptwriting element settings. That should not go back and overwrite existing formatting, but your description could also be read to mean that typing new text is done in Courier.

If scriptwriting is not the issue, then going back to Mac level troubleshooting steps, I would advise resetting the cached and temporary environment: if you have a preferred tool for clearing system caches then please do so. If not, the free tool Maintenance is good for this. Download the matching version for the macOS version and run that with default settings then reboot the machine. Please note that for some time your computer will run more slowly than you are accustomed to. Caches are what make it as fast as it is—but if they grow corrupted over time they can also cause problems.

2 Likes

Thanks for the advice! :slightly_smiling_face: