Getting 'Info' (size) of documents in Draft

I am looking for something similar to the Info I may use on a disk to see how large it is!

Why do I desire this? Because I work with rather huge projects containing text and photos/drawings, and some seems to crave more disk space than “similar” ones, like twice up. But in finder I can only see complete filesize, so to locate possible disk-hoarders I gather some “Document” info would help. But I have not been able to locate such a feature inside Scrivener.
Will appreciate all constructive suggestions/tools
GreyT

The size of text will be insignificant compared to the images, so the difference is down to how many images and how big. In my workflow, all images are external, referred to from Scrivener with $img placeholder tags, each placeholder in a document by itself. If I want to know which images are big, I can sort by size in the external folder where they live.

Managing images in Scrivener

This, by the way, makes it easy to use an image in multiple documents and projects without duplication or wasted space.

1 Like

I agree, but most input I get are screenshots from public websites… like detailed description plus a number of photos / diagrams / maps. And for these situations, where the graphics are detailed their size can be larger than one would think, just looking at the screen.
My projects may contain 10.000 + “documents” each maybe having 1 to 25 pictures. Thats the reality I face, and the reason l am looking for a tool that could pinpoint or sort by size.

Otherwise Scrivener works perfect, but when project grows unexpectedly, backup etc takes much longer
GreyT

Just confirming that what @drmajorbob suggested does not work for you? Doing this means you can use the tools you already have, Finder and a plethora of macOS terminal commands.

It does not work, because the picture(s)… does only reside in scrivener, after copy paste from screengrab.
In finder i can only see size of complete project.
What would be practical for me would be be able to find/sort according to size of the documents (= text + pictures).
But if souch a tool is not available… well then thats it.

GreyT

What if you moved them outside of Scrivener and linked, as suggested by @drmajorbob. Since this is a problem for you, troublesome enough to ask here for advice, this seems good advice.

I don’t know if tools to look inside Scrivener exist or not. I do know you already have Finder and macOS terminal commands already which can see size of files, sort by size, etc. etc.

On the Mac, you can see the internal structure of a Scrivener project by right-clicking and choosing the option to Show Package Contents. This won’t be terribly helpful for the OP’s purpose, though, because the actual contents of the project are in folders with unique alphanumeric IDs. The naming convention is not really human-friendly.

If you are looking at projects with thousands of images, it’s possible that you would be happier with purpose-built database software like DevonThink. With any software, you might also want to consider printing from the web to PDF, capturing as RTF, or saving individual images from your browser, rather than taking screenshots. Screenshots are probably the least space-efficient way to capture that kind of content.

1 Like

After showing package contents, @GreyT can do a search for kind:image and sort by size. It may be useful (or necessary) to turn on the option shown here, to search the current folder:

Here’s an example:

1 Like

Right, but then to do anything about it they need to figure out which specific document belongs with folder AD021148-…

Which you can do either by searching the .scrivx file or using the Quick Look preview, but either option is likely to be fairly tedious if we’re talking about thousands of files.

Issues all of which are solved by a workflow like mine. Whether thousands of files or only one, I’d start at the biggest and work down until performance is tolerable.

Thanks for the various inputs, it was first a bit confusing, then I entered a small learning curve… and I have now the steps how to locate these bloater files.
Could be that it is external links more than pictures that adds to the unneeded size increase. I will keep an eye on this from now on.
the screenshot shows just the top of the list, covering som 900 files.

1 Like

External links should be like text from the standpoint of project size.

I made a new test project, still based on screengrabs, including text, photos and links, but I cannot get it to show photos, like in your example!!! although the bottomline shows similar to the one in your example!
did you enter discrete photos into your project then?

if yes, could you try to grab just one screenprint and see if you still can locate picturefile.

thanks in advance
GreyT

If you’ve embedded images into your RTF files, then they will contribute to the size of the RTF file. That’s what your screenshot appears to show. Certainly it is unlikely that a 493 MB (!) RTF file is just text.

My thoughts too, but as it is now, even I reduce size to just 10%, file stays the same size, so somehow the info of the original stays there… or???
I am a photograher, also, and 200-400 MB is a bunch of some very large photos. The few photos I have checked on are modes at about 1000 pix on the wide side, thats nothing
I am baffeled
GreyT

Scrivener’s “resize” tool just changes the display size. It does not change the number of bits in the image.

Yeah, I knew, but did not see the bloating. I have used the trimmimng mostly to remind myself, that this item has been edited/trimmed.

Just for fun and for learning, I found one content.RTF showing the size of about 495 MB !
then I closed that and opened same item in scrivener, spent some time replacing maybe 10 photos with their screenshot, saved the project and checked again the content.RTF, which was now a meager 29MB.

So back to the original suggestions: find the topmost bloaters and trim those. That is simpler, rather than trimming every new entry (“just in case”)

Well this has been som good inputs for me, and now I know a bit more… and… if there was an option inside scrivener to find those large files it would be nice :slight_smile:

GreyT

I don’t understand the question. When would a photo be indiscrete? When it’s NSFW? (But that would be indiscreet, spelled differently.)

Screengrabs are images. Links are not, even if they point to an image.

I showed you a screenshot already.

On second thought, maybe you’re asking if the images are in documents by themselves, which they are not, since I only link to them. But the ones shown are internal to the project. Many others are external, not shown in my 2nd post above where I search inside the package contents folder. Here they are in the external folder:

and here they are, sorted by size:

That’s maybe not the BEST way to reduce the size of an image. It could lose more resolution than necessary and results in PNGs, when jpegs would be smaller for the same quality.

As I said before, my workflow is to place images in documents by themselves, mostly as links to external files. As @kewms indicated earlier, if you embed images within a text document, it won’t appear in the project as a separate image file at all.

I guess I get your points… For me it does not really matter … think of my requirements for recepies … I find something on the net and after grabbing it and adding it to my dedicated scriver cookie project, I may print it out and stick it to the kitchen wall, for “Reprocessing”, It does not really matter if its a RAW or a PNG picture, in this content.

from all these various inputs I now have enough understanding, to trim a scrivener projec in size, if its getting bloated.
kind regards
GreyT