Getting my APA subheadings within a draft to compile right

I don’t break up level 1 headings and level 2 headings into separate draft documents. That is, I’ll have one draft that has perhaps many level 1 headings and many level 2 headings (I break things up into larger sections like Literature Review or Methods). I also prefer to go ahead and tab when I’m writing.

But the above method is causing me a lot of issues on compiling. I have the following for this level of draft in the compile-formatting screen:

“Main text. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat.
Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.”

… because otherwise, my compiled documents are tabbed twice.

My headings, which are actual headings in Scrivener (i.e., I use presets) are all left aligned upon compile.

I’m sure I’m making this too complicated. Can someone assist?

Are you using the Compile -> Formatting pane to override the text formatting? Generally speaking, if the text in the editor looks the way you want it to, you shouldn’t have to do anything in the Formatting pane except make sure the document elements (title, notes, etc.) that you want are included.

Katherine

Thanks, Katherine. I knew it was something simple.

I went to the options in the formatting section and checked “override text only.” I like to write in something other than Times New Roman.

Thanks again!

For future reference, there’s also a Compile -> Quick Font Override pane. If all you want to change is the font, go there instead of the Formatting pane.

Katherine