go back to original place in document

Hi, I’m writing a novel and have broken it down into many documents. I sometimes have to move around and go to a different document to either copy something or look something up. Once I go back to the document I started at, is there a way to find my original place? I’d like the curser to go back to the place I was working on. Is there some way to do this or to set this up in preferences. oh and by the way, I am working with version 2.

Thanks so much

When returning to any document, it should take you to the place the insertion point was last placed, which seems to be what you are asking for, so I’m a little confused!

Yes that is what I would like it to do but it does not do that. It takes me back to the top of the document and it’s a real pain to try to find my place again. Any hits on how to fix this ?

It sounds like you are using scrivenings mode. In that mode, history and re-loading via click will indeed lose your place. This is a limitation in how the persistent seek function works. That information is written for the documents themselves—but a scrivening session has no document to write that information into. There is nowhere good to put it.

What I do requires one to be a little proactive, but I just drop a bookmark into the text before I leave. Hit Shift-Cmd-B to create a text bookmark easily. Now when you come back to the scrivenings session, use the header bar menu to seek back to that bookmark with a click.

Ah yes, if you’re in scrivenings mode, that is dynamically-created and so can’t remember its place - regular documents do remember the last edited place though. (For Scrivenings to remember its place it would eventually need to remember the place for every combination of documents that has bee used and it would be wrong as soon as you edited one of the component documents in isolation.)

Best,
Keith

Thank you !

I was having the same trouble as AEW, but not in Scrivenings mode – I do most of my composing in full screen. Since switching to 2.0, the cursor’s been appearing at the top of the document I’ve most recently been working on instead of where I left off. But just a second ago I noticed the title header at the top of my current document had “composite” in parentheses after the title. So I opened up the binder, clicked on the document as though I were opening it up fresh, and voila – problem solved. I’ve done some test-navigating between documents, and now the cursor is behaving itself.

So…
What does “composite” mean, and why does it affect where my cursor goes?

I might have just figured out my problem.

I keep a blank sub-document under whatever scene I’m currently working on so I have a safe place to cut and paste and dabble with edits. I bet I inadvertently hit a keyboard shortcut that combined the two docs into Scrivenings mode, and I never noticed because the sub-document is blank. Sound plausible?

Actually, it sounds like you have document groups set up to act like folders, and when you click the document group (which is your actual document) it opens that and the subdocument in Scrivenings mode. If that’s the case, you can turn off the behavior in Scrivener>Preferences:Navigation by deselecting the top option.

That’s what “composite” mode means. :wink: If you were selecting multiple documents individually it would say “Multiple Selection” in the header.

As Charlie Brown once said to Lucy: “THAT’S IT!”

Thanks.