Go to next/previous document arrows

I must be missing something quite simple here… my binder contains only folders, each being a chapter in a novel. When I click on the next or previous document arrows next to the split screen icons (while looking at the folder’s contents scrivening style) it does go to the next folder but switches to Corkboard mode. Spent a bit of time looking for an answer in the manual but came up empty. Thanks in advance for any advice!
John

Some people (including myself) have been wondering about that, too. Read this thread:
https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/when-does-scriv-display-cards-when-text/16562/1

Thanks! Wow. Those folks really exercise the product, while all I am looking for is a single-editor up/down arrow that moves me between documents/folders in the binder and stays in edit mode. :slight_smile:

Think I am learning something. Perhaps the up/down arrows deal with folders differently than files. I have a non-fiction article that has a single folder with the story’s paragraphs “hung beneath” as documents. The up/down arrows work just fine in this case.

When you say your draft just has folders in it, are those all in a flat list? Is there any particular reason for using folders? I ask because usually the choice to use a folder is specifically for that ability to get a group view mode when you click on it. That’s pretty much the only difference between a folder in a file, within the interface. There are a few other subtle differences, but that’s the main most noticeable thing. Why not just use a flat list of files if you don’t have sub-documents beneath them, is what I’m getting at. If you just have a flat list of folders and no files beneath them, try selecting all of them and using [b]Documents/Convert/to File[/b]. Now the Next/Prev buttons should stick in text mode. They operate in the same way that a binder click does. If the item is a folder, it loads your preferred group view mode (the last one you used), which in some cases can just be a plain text view, if you’ve specifically chosen that, but most often it will be Scrivenings, Corkboard or Outliner. Files always show text by default, whether you click to load it or enter it via the Next/Prev buttons. So a better way of putting it would be:

• Files never respect the preferred view mode, they always just show text
  • Folders always respect the preferred view mode (even if that means just text)
  • File stacks can respect preferred view mode if your navigation options are set to treat them as folders. Otherwise they act like files.
  • All items in the binder can be deliberately set to show group or text views after loading them.

Thanks again, AmberV! When I was told elsewhere that folders and files were interchangeable I took that too literally. Very glad to realize how easy it will be to do the conversion. :smiley:
Also, used the split-editors function last night working on a non-fiction article and it made building the article in one editor using the info from the other editor very simple and straightforward.

You’re welcome! Yes, they are interchangeable in that they can be freely converted from one to the other (so you don’t have to worry so much about getting it right while you are banging out a 100 point outline, just work and sort out the technical details later), and they both can contain text or other child items. Their big interface difference is already described. The minor interface difference is in how new items are created around them. Folders are greedy. If you make a new file with one selected, it claims it. Files are not, they will be siblings by default. File groups are as always chameleons depending upon the navigation setting. The most important difference between them by far is the in the compiler. You can export different pieces of information for each of the three “types” of item in the outline. You could, if you so desired, have them all act the same (this is how Original works), but they can be distinguished from one another so folders only export their binder titles and text files only export their text. Or vice versa. So they can be used strategically when thinking about the eventual final structure of your project.