Going bananas trying to configure a special Scrivener note taking project which floats above other apps

Mac OS Catalina 10.15.7
Scrivener 3.2.2

I would like to create a special Scrivener project to work in a flexible Scrivener window floating above other apps for the purpose of taking notes and drag and drop text and images into a Scrivener document.

Namely, I would like to
• get rid of the cosmetic “margins” between the editor and the binder/inspector labelled as 1 and 2 on the image below.
• when I resize the window, I would the text in the editor to wrap, just like you see with the Scrivener scratchpad and floating quick reference panel. By wrap, I mean as opposed to sentences being truncated . Note that Scrivener Menu → Windows → Float on top allows me to float Scrivener on top of other apps, but sentences are truncated when I adjust window size
• I would like the Scrivener window to float over other apps. Note that a quick reference panel is not a solution because it only floats over other Scrivener windows, not other app windows.

I have been using the scratchpad for many years, but the functions are too limited, which is why I want to create this special note taking project. I can subsequently copy or move documents to other projects.

What I tried without success
What I tried to configure:
* page view changes nothing
* note File → Page Setup
* To toggle Page View, go to View > Text Editing > Page View and tick or untick to taste.
* To turn off Fixed Width Editing, go to Preferences > Appearance > Main Editor and tick/untick User Fixed Width Editing.

thanks very much in advance for your time and help

Edit to add…I’m running macOS 11.5.1 so our results might differ.

Try:

Preferences > Appearance > General Interface > Options > Always resize editors proportionally when resizing window

There’s another setting there that you can experiment with to find a preferred view of the Editor in relationship to the Binder and Inspector when un/hidden:
Adjust window size to accommodate binder and inspector
–––––––––––––––––––––––––––

As for the Editor, not using Page View:
Preferences > Appearance > Main Editor > Options > Default editor width:

I’m using Fixed Width Editor and I’ve set that value to zero points. [I didn’t try other values or the other option “Center…”; because I’m on a 13" display and am not sure what relevance, if any, it would have to your circumstance.]

The words are ‘wrapping’ for me, per your desire (if I’m understanding that correctly). A floating window:

1 Like

great suggestions. I fixed my problem ! I am very grateful. Thank you so much for your detailed reply and screenshot. I used all your settings, and it looks great. My very last step solved the wrapping problem.
Your help made a big difference ! I had been searching for a solution for the past 2 days.

1 Like