Going from Index Cards to Editor?

Hi, is there a simple way to navigate from the corkboard to the text editor? For example when I’m viewing a folder in corkboard mode, I want to be able to quickly select a card and start writing INSIDE the document (not the synopsis, the document itself). However, I can’t seem to find an easy way to do that. The only way I can find to do so is to navigate to the document itself in the binder.

What I really want to be able to do is for example double click on the card and start writing in the text (though I do admit double clicking to get to the synopsis is of course more intuitive). However, when I select a card and press the Return key, I’d expect it to open up the document itself instead of creating a new card. We have Ctrl-N for that!

It is really annoying to skim through my cards, spot one that I want to edit immediately, and yet have to memorise the title before going to scour for it in the binder. Maybe I’m just using Scrivener wrongly? :frowning:

Help please! And thanks :slight_smile:

The return key shortcut is there for people who are used to outliners, which create new items with that key. It also works in the Binder as well as the Outliner. It’s a really fast way to generate outlines once you get used to it. If it really bothers you though, there will be an option to disable that function in the future.

There are two different ways to do what you want. Actually, more than that, but two easy ways. :slight_smile: One is mouse-based: just double click on the icon of the index card itself. The second is keyboard-based, and that is Cmd-Opt-O. Kind of like “Open” with an option key, so easy to remember.

There is another shortcut that is related to that one: Cmd-Shift-O, which opens the card in a split, next to the Corkboard. So if you like to see two things at once, there is that as well. Additionally, you can click the little double-arrow button at the bottom of the corkboard. When that button is enabled (it will turn blue) any single click on an index card will automatically open it in the split view, making it act more like an e-mail client. This button is also available in the Outliner view.

But no, you aren’t using it wrongly at all. The Outliner and Corkboard views are meant to be integral navigation as well as brainstorming features. In fact it is not uncommon to completely lose track of where you are in the Binder, after following all of these rabbit trails. A helpful command is Cmd-Opt-R, Reveal in Binder, which will highlight the thing you are current editing in the Binder.

Regarding the return key, you can go to Scrivener>Preferences>Navigation and uncheck the box for “return creates new item.” It won’t give you the function you’re looking for–return will instead allow you to edit the first text field (card title in the Corkboard, title or whatever’s listed first in your Outliner view)–but it will prevent the “make a new card” issue.

Ah yes thank you. Command-Option-O was exactly the thing I was looking for :smiley: It sure was hard to find. And the Reveal function is really useful.

If i have one criticism to make about Scrivener, it’s that the menu items are all in the wrong places. Open in Editor really should be available by right clicking an index card for example. Also, the options you have when you right click on the corkboard for example, are EXACTLY the same as the options you get by clicking the “Settings” icon (the gear icon thingy) in the bottom toolbar. This is kind of redundant IMO.

Also, the “View” and “Text” menus in particular are cluttered with so many features that it makes it hard to find a specific option you want. My personal preference would be to pull some of the options out of the menus, put them in the right-click contextual menu, and shift the right click-contextual menu to the bottom toolbar’s settings icon. If any of that makes sense.

And I just realised that I sure have ranted quite a lot. Should have posted this in the feedback section :stuck_out_tongue:

Regardless, thanks for this great software and keep it up :slight_smile: Can’t wait for version 2.0!

Oh, cool. Having Return cause my cursor to dive into the index card itself is also pretty useful. And coupled with AmberV’s suggestion above, I’ll probably try to use System Prefs. to change the shortcut key to command+return for Open in Editor.

Thanks for all the advice!

Actually, come to think of it, the return key cannot be set up to open things in the next version either, but there is more control over what you can do with it. This isn’t terribly non-standard. Not even the Finder lets you open things with the return key.

That gear menu is, as far as I know, always like that in Mac applications. In fact, I think the only purpose of the gear menu in Mac programs is for people who don’t know how to right-click. :slight_smile: I’ve seen a few exceptions, but in general I usually only see contextual items in that menu. I’d agree it is redundant, but some people are used to it so it is provided for the purposes of familiarity.

Menu arrangement will be optimised quite a bit as well. I don’t think you’ll see quite as much as you want in the contextual menus, but there is more of that, and the overall organisation is more intuitive. The menus as you see them now are the result of several years of adding new features. They did get a little unwieldy over time.

Agreed (about how even Finder doesn’t let you open stuff with Return). However, I was hoping for a simpler shortcut for open in editor.

For anyone else who happens to stumble across this post and want to assign open in editor to a simpler shortcut as well, it’s a very difficult process.

For starters, you can’t simply use the keyboard preference pane to change the shortcut. Because Open in>>Editor is a submenu, the menu item you enter for the shortcut would be “Editor”. However, under the View menu there’s already another option called “Editor” that leads to other options. Thus no matter what shortcut you assign to “Editor”, it won’t do anything. I’ve found that the way the keyboard shortcuts pref pane works is that it searches all menu items, from left to right, up to down, in order to find the menu item whose shortcut it should replace. Thus, when it reaches the “View” menu, the first occurrence of the word “Editor” will be the menu item that leads to “Go To”, “Lock in Place”, etc. Thus it’ll assign the shortcut key to that completely useless option.

The way I changed my shortcut key was through Interface Builder. I had to open up the MainMenu.nib file in IB. However, Snow Leopard initially wouldn’t let me do that because MainMenu.nib was a compiled nib. Thus, I had to find more workarounds to the problem before I could finally change the shortcut key.

Relevant stuff can be found here:

macstories.net/tutorials/how … w-leopard/

and the first few steps of this:

macosxhints.com/article.php? … 1194001675

In summary, copy out any non-compiled nib file from Scrivener (Content-> Resources -> English.lproj or something like that) onto your desktop (you can tell which ones are compilable from the icon). Now copy the MainMenu.nib file (which is compiled). Show Package Contents for the nib file on your desktop, paste MainMenu.nib in it. Now delete the current keyedobjects.nib file and rename the MainMenu.nib file to keyedobjects.nib. Close this finder window, and now you can open up the nib file on your desktop in IB to edit the Main Menu of scrivener.

To change a shortcut key, simply find the menu item, double click on its current shortcut, and enter the new shortcut. Save the file and quit IB. Now reverse the process. Show Package Contents for the nib file on your desktop again, rename the keyedobjects.nib file back to MainMenu.nib. Copy this updated MainMenu.nib back into Scrivener, replacing the old MainMenu.nib file. And voila! :slight_smile:

Note though, Command+Return doesn’t work for some strange reason. After saving the file and opening scrivener, that shortcut will be non-existent. Command+M works for me though :smiley:

That sure was a lot of criticism. :slight_smile: As AmberV says, the menus have been overhauled for version 2.0 - I agree that 1.x’s are unwieldy. Contextual menus and gear menus are as they should be, though. I don’t really agree that everything should be hidden away in contextual menus - that can make things difficult to find. The advantage of having most things available in the menu bar is that it means new users can look through the menus to learn about the application and what it can do. (In that regard, I don’t think “Open in” is difficult to find if you look through the menus - the View or Documents menus being the obvious place for this item.) I’ve also been more careful in 2.0 to try to make the menu item names unique, to make it easier to assign keyboard shortcuts to some of the more obscure ones. I’ll consider adding “Open in” to the corkboard/outliner contextual menu, though, as that’s not a bad idea.

Regards,
Keith