Good stuff, thanks

I’m new to the board and new to Scrivener. I have discovered it only a few weeks ago and I must say it’s the best thing that happened to me since I developed this taste for writing when I was 11 years old. It’s the kind of software that makes you want to fall to your knees and thank God for being a Mac user.

I like writing. But I guess, like many writers, I’m often struggling with the painful process of putting the story I have written in my mind on ‘paper’. Some may call it laziness :slight_smile: I’ve tried out many other similar programs (CopyWrite came pretty close to meeting my expectations), hoping to find something to fix my eh malfunction and boost my productivity. But there is always something turning me off and making me return to a more conventional word-processor. Until now.
Scrivener is a joy to work with. I’ve been tempted a few times to post some ideas for enhancements. But then I think about it and realise things are better the way they are implemented. One thing though: I’ve noticed that in a previous version you could add Persons and Places to your scenario. I haven’t seen that functionality in beta 5. Maybe I’m overlooking something here. But ok, I will buy it anyway, and I’ll get a license for my yet to be produced son as well.

It shows that a lot of time was dedicated to listening to writers’ needs. But of course, you still need the skills to transform these ideas into a software that does what the users want, nothing more and nothing less. Scrivener does everything it needs to do to be a writer’s dream and is not bloated. Dans mon avis çà c’est la grande classe, vraiment.

I’ve used it intensely and finished two short stories with it in a matter of, well, days. Usually I don’t work this fast. Guess I can cut back on cocaine then, thanks to Scrivener :wink:

I have no more excuses for not writing, thanks a lot!

See the green circle with a + in it?
Add New Folder and then name it Persons.
Add another one and name it Places.

Quickfished - thank you very much for taking the time to post such positve comments. Much appreciated. :slight_smile: I’m very pleased that Scrivener is helping you with your work, and wish you the best of luck with completing your novel (I have hopes it will help me with mine, too :slight_smile: ).

A lot of users didn’t like the People and Places folders in Scrivener Gold, so I got rid of them and instead added the ability to add folders at the root level so that users could make their own main folders. So, as howarth points out, you can now just add two folders in between the Research and Trash folders and name them “People” and “places”.

Thanks again and all the best,
Keith

And here’s a tip from the Tips forum so you don’t have to keep recreating these extra folders each time you begin a new project:

Miscellaneous

I would like to create default labels, status lines, binder entries, et cetera, how do I do this?
Beta 4 has introduced the ability to create project templates. Simply create a new project, then fill in all of the basic details that you desire. For example, a template for a novel might have labels, colours, Binder layouts, some basic common keywords, export settings and other details. You could even go so far as creating a few starter documents and ToDo lists, if I wanted.

Once everything is set up the way you like it, simply select Save As Template… from the File menu. Fill in the necessary details, and click okay. The next time you wish to create a new project you’ll notice that Scrivener will first ask if you wish to use a certain template before proceeding to the standard project set-up screen.

Templates are stored in your user folder under Library/Application Support/Scrivener/Templates. If you download a template off of the web, or wish to share your own, they can be installed and accessed at this location.

I want to revise a template that I already have installed, how is this done?
The easiest way to make changes to an existing template is to create a new project using that template. Make all of the changes that you wish, and then select Save As Template… from the file menu. The name should already be filled in for you, and you will just have to provide a description again.

Thanks for the recommendations. It makes a lot of sense and I agree it is indeed better like this; to work with groups and labels instead of hard coded Persons and Places I mean.