Graphics destroyed by copying from one to another

I have a bunch of graphics set up in various text files and sub folders.

I had one file with one graphic and one file with two. I decided to copy the second graphic from the second file to the first file. Rather than use control X, which had caused problems before, I used control C.

I then went into the first file and pasted in the second graphic. It pasted, but in so doing, transformed the first graphic in that file to a copy of itself.

I tried hitting Undo but unfortunately Undo doesn’t Undo anything. I got down to having one graphic, in the file, but it still looked like the second one. I exported it as well to look at it in another program to make sure. Yep, it was the second one. The original graphic had been obliterated.

I’m attempting to get the graphic out of the backups but just how I do this is not readily apparent.

Please fix this bug and tell me how to manually fix the problem it caused.

Thanks for the report. I believe I’ve reproduced the problem now and the issue appears to be that the image already in the document has the same name as the image you are copying. I’ve filed a bug report for this so we can get it fixed for the next update, along with the problem of Undo (we’ve already made some big adjustments to the Undo behaviour, but in testing it looks like the image isn’t reverting once it’s been replaced, even though everything else is now undoing). In the meanwhile, if you right-click the image and choose “Edit Image”, you’ll be able to change the name of the image to something unique and so should be able to avoid the problem until the update. Most likely this is an issue with images that have been pasted into the document from the clipboard, as these just get the generic name “Clipboard Image”, suffixed with a number when more than one appears in the same document.

Some other image-related changes are also going into the next update, so for instance you’ll be able to right-click the image and choose “Save as Picture…” from the context menu to save the image to an external file, similar to the way this works in Word.

To restore the image from a backup copy of the project, you can extract the project from the zipped file (assuming it was a zip backup), then open it in Scrivener as normal. You can drag and drop documents from one project binder to another, or export the document with the image from the project to save it externally, along with its inline images.

Yes, that’s exactly the scenario. I have a CD collection of old graphics which I’ve been placing in my document and I’ve been doing it by opening them in Gimp, copying the relevant image, then pasting it into the file where I want. I’ve also copied some graphics from the web for personal notes and reference.

I’m used to programs, if you’re about to overwrite one file with another, having some sort of warning message pop up.

In any case, is there a walk through of how to get files out of the backups? I try looking at the backups but all I see is this orderly but meaningless set of numbered files. Is there a way to just open up the backed up copy of the project so I can copy or export the image without changing the backup?

Normally there would be a warning if you were overwriting a file, but in this case the overwrite is not intentional but a bug in how the program is handling the images. The easiest way to retrieve the files from the backups is to open the backup project in Scrivener, rather than trying to cull through the contents in Windows Explorer. It sounds like you have already found the project backup you want to restore, either your own or one of the automatic backups? You can find the automatic backups by going to the Backup tab of Tools > Options in Scrivener; the backup location is listed there (you can change it here as well as setting your other backup preferences) and there’s a button that will open the backup directory in Windows Explorer.

If the backup is a zip file, you’ll need to extract a copy of the project before you can open it in Scrivener. To do this, either right-click the zipped folder and choose “Extract All” or double-click the folder and then drag out the .scriv folder to another location. Then just open the .scriv folder and double-click the “project” .scrivx file to open it in Scrivener. You can have multiple projects open simultaneously, so you can drag the document from your backup project’s binder into the current version of your project to copy the file, or you can select it in the backup project binder and then choose File > Export if you want to just create an external copy of the file, which you can save wherever you want with a meaningful name.