Graphics in Compile output

I’m a total Scrivener newbie, with a deadline; my apologies, but HELP!

I have a document in the “Manuscript” folder of the Binder. (equal to ‘draft’ mode?) I have lots of graphics, all jpg’s. The Manuscript folder will not let me include graphics as sections, but the “Figures” folder (that I made) will. OK, draft won’t handle figures.

I can paste a figure into a section in the Manuscript, and see it on the screen as I write around it. Yesterday I compiled an .rtf file, and must have used the most basic configuration - only text came out. Read the Tutorial again, saw that they compiled graphics, and magically now Compile puts out figures that were embedded in the text.

What did I do differently?

More important, where can I read about & try out Compile options? That is a most complicated & flexible command.

To answer your last question first, the Compile command is discussed in detail in Chapter 24 of the Scrivener Manual, which is available from the Help menu.

The Draft folder can only include text-format files, but it is possible (as you discovered) to paste an image into a Draft folder document. From the Scrivener side, that should actually be all you need to do… what program did you use to open the RTF file?

Katherine

I generated a .rtf file, then opened that in Pages, TextEdit, and Word. None showed graphics.

I gotta do some more digging in the manual, clearly.

Neither TextEdit nor Pages supports embedded images in RTF files, so if you opened the file in either of those first and it auto-saved, the images would have been gone by the time you opened it in Word. You’ll definitely want to just go directly to Word when working with RTF files, as there are a lot of other things that will get stripped or flattened using TextEdit or Pages–header, footer, footnotes, etc.

OK. That explains that. And I used to think Pages '09 was so nice…

Thank you so much for helping me understand these ins & outs. It is so nice to see all my hard won graphics in place & useful.

Thanks for pointing this out. I will really need to study this. So far, getting the compiled format into an outline mode, without synopsis (synopses?:), and suitable titles, is proving elusive.

Have you tried the “Enumerated Outline” compile preset? That uses hierarchical numbering and document titles only.

Yes I have. This is what I should have used when I started the whole project. I need to find some way to skip numbering certain files. As of now, I have learned how to use the placeholder tags, which works very well for skipping things, gives me lots of control over lettering & appearance, but is a bit cumbersome.

Ah. For future reference then, in the Title Adjustments pane of Compile, you can select to not add the title prefix or suffix to certain documents.

Also, the Enumerated Outline preset is just a starting point. You can still use the Compile -> Formatting pane to change the title prefix (which generates the number) on a per-outline level basis.

You can also use the Documents -> Merge command to consolidate multiple files into one. This is best used as you get toward the end of the process and the “final” outline that you’ll want to use for titles and so on is becoming clear.

Katherine

“He say, ‘Good idea.’” But reading the manual is time spent not writing text !http://www.literatureandlatte.com/forum/posting.php?mode=reply&f=2&t=28318# A conflict.