Great program! What about characters though?

Hi!
I am a first user of Scrivener. I watched the video and downloaded the trial.
I wrote 2 children books which are published in Holland (I’m Dutch), both written in Atlantis wordprocessor on my pc without the help of any kind of organisation tool. I did the outlining on paper, kept my character info on paper. I am looking though for a good program to help me keep things more organised and am impressed with Scrivener. Especailly seeing the screenwriting option was great!

So I will give it a go and see how it feels like. One question: I didn’t see any option for organising the characters and locations that I use in my story, is this something that is still going to come or did I just not see it?

best wishes,
André
Sweden

andrevanharen.com

Hi Andre

Welcome to the forum. Scrivener is more “free-wheeling” and less prescriptive than some of its rivals. That’s part of its appeal to many of us. So there are no pre-defined places to organise characters and locations, but of course you can always open folders and files for character and location sheets in the Binder, keep track of them in your narrative with keywords and keep images of them in the research folder.

H

I see, thanks for that info. I am playing around with it at the moment and already made the folders for them. I just imported my novel in progress and used the Split at Selection to divide my chapters into the scenes. Looks very great to work like this.

I noticed that all my dialogue symbols (don’t know how they are called in English) " " are gone from my script and in the print preview are replaced with an underline. Can I get them back in my text somehow or do I need to put them back manually?

André

Hi,

Thanks for trying Scrivener!

The dialogue thing is strange - I’m not sure about that. It sounds as though the import of the original file didn’t take too well. What file format was it that you imported?

As for characters - thank you to Hugh for answering this question. Yes, it’s designed so that you can create your own folders and sheets for characters, locations and anything else. In fact, an older version of Scrivener did have predefined folders for characters and locations but users didn’t like them, as many users wanted to use Scrivener not only for novel-writing, but for other sorts of work, too, so I ended up making it more flexible. However, the next update does add a couple of things to help in this regard:

• Customisable icons: this means that you can import a small image and assign it as the folder/document icon, so that you could assign a custom “Characters” or “Locations” icon to a folder to make it more instantly identifiable.
• Document templates: this allows you to assign a folder as a template folder, so that all documents within it can be created simply by going to Project > New From Template > MyFileName. This way you can easily create a character sheet, for instance, and use it as a document template.
• Tabbed project notes: you will be able to open the project notes not only in the inspector but also as a separate, tabbed, window. You define the tabs - so you could have a tab for characters, another for location and so forth.

The update won’t be available until later in the year, but it will be free to current users.

Hope that helps.

All the best,
Keith

Hi Keith,
you said that:
• Customisable icons: this means that you can import a small image and assign it as the folder/document icon, so that you could assign a custom “Characters” or “Locations” icon to a folder to make it more instantly identifiable.

I tried this but I don’t understand how it works. I imported a small icon into scrivenar end pulled it onto my character folder, but it doesn’t stick. How excactly do I do this?

André

You do it by waiting for the next update :wink:

Mark

:blush:
sorry, didn’t see that part, must have been that second beer I had…

André