"Grey" items in binder when excluded from manuscript?

Hi everyone,

Is it possible to have items that are not checked for inclusion in the manuscript to be “greyed out” in the binder?

Or if not, would anyone else find this useful?

I’d like to be able to tell at a glance what is in/out, without having to check each document’s inspector or entering the “compile” screen.

As I am beginning the first revision of my thesis (well, by certain meanings of the words “first” and “revision”) I have thought something like this would be very helpful. I have got around it by creating a specific label for these documents, but I have to remember to set the label (and subsequently look for it) when editing.

The other thing I did was create a duplicate of my draft, within the project, so I can delete all the documents not marked for compile, but know that I still have access to them in their original context (also the duplicate draft matches what I sent for internal review by a supervisor, so I have access to everything as it was at that point). This has given me a lot more confidence to be brutal with my revising.

As an alternative to the inspector, you might try viewing your draft in the outliner with the “Include in Compile” column visible. That will let you see everything at a glance.

Something else you may find helpful is the coming ability (in 2.1, release impending) to Opt-click on a container to view just its compilable subdocuments in the outliner, on the corkboard, or as a Scrivenings session.

That would certainly do it for me - indeed it is exactly what I had imagined as I was working on my draft yesterday.

One thing that I have found useful for notes in the draft is to create a document template for one that already has a custom icon set to the notepad, the Include checkbox set to off, and a different font (so when they are viewed in Scrivenings they stand out as Notes). You could use labels with this technique, in addition to the icon. Labels are useful because they can be searched for and sorted by in Outliner lists.

The problem this doesn’t address is bits of the material itself you’ve snipped out for one reason or another. I’ve run into this visibility problem as well, where without an Outliner being used as a heavy part of the workflow, it’s difficult to see at a glance what parts are in the book itself. Changing the icon by hand got old pretty fast.

The feature MM mentioned is going to be a big help in this, I feel. It will be very nice for Scrivenings. There was a feature like this in the old version, but due to interface problems it had to be temporarily dropped. It’ll be nice to have it back.

You might very well need these versions at a high level of visibility, so if that is the case this tip won’t help you out. If all you want to do is preserve versions in the draft, give Snapshots a try. That way the version “stack” is invisible at the binder level, but each file that has a history will have the whole thread back available for viewing in the Inspector. This includes the ability to turn on comparison mode and examine the differences between them and the current revision.

The issue, for me, is there were a few sections that I “wrote my way out of” when I was stuck. Very helpful at the time as the continual writing kept me focussed on developing coherent ideas ( & the word count kept increasing, so I felt I was still making progress even when I wasn’t). The downside now is I have a lot of documents that are repetitive, or say similar things in different ways, or refer to each other, but only some of which I will keep.

My current workflow (which I returned here to post about) is to use split windows, with the chapter open in outline view in the top window and the bottom window matched to the outliner in scrivenings view in the bottom. I can then very quickly add or remove the redundant documents to check for readability of the next draft without them, while still checking the content and interconnections within them. It comes at the expense of screen real estate and fullscreen mode (and having to manually select and deselect each one), but I can live with that for the time being.

I use snapshots extensively, mainly because I am absolutely paranoid about losing work (you should see the number of backups I have!). Every week or two I take a snapshot of every document that has changed since the last “group snapshot”. I can see how this works within a document (and have gratefully used it a couple of times!), but not sure how snapshots work if I delete an entire document?