GUI to highlight PDFs in Scriv 2 disabled

In Scrivener 2 it’s possible to highlight text in PDFs (if it’s “real” text, not a scanned image of text). But the GUI control for doing that is in the format bar; and the format bar is entirely greyed out/deactivated when you’re working with a PDF. (There is still the menu command to highlight; but that doesn’t allow you to change the color of the highlighting.)

Thanks for Scriv 2! It’s great!

Hi,

Thanks for the kind words! And yes, the format bar only works for text documents - it won’t work on PDF files, even the highlight button. But you can use the keyboard shortcut, shift-cmd-H, to highlight in PDF files.

Best,
Keith

Yes, I noticed the menu/keyboard shortcut approach to highlighting. But then there’s no way to change the color of the highlighting. (So far as I can tell, even if I’ve changed the highlighting color somewhere else using the format bar, the highlight of a PDF is always yellow.)

It’s a minor point, really, but color-coding is a big part of the use of highlighting—for me, at least.

David

No, there’s no way to do that. But you can open the PDF in an external editor using the button in the footer bar, edit it, save it, then click on the refresh button in Scrivener’s toolbar to reload your changes - so you can just use a full PDF editor to make more detailed changes.
Best,
Keith