guides in corkboard

I would love the ability to draw vertical and horizontal guides/rules in corkboard view.

That would allow me to separate things into chapters, helping me structure, and also allow me to keep track of multiple plotlines.

It would also be cool to be able to label my columns and rows that are created.

Just really more flexibility in the corkboard view would be appreciated. The corkboard is THE reason why I bought the program.

Couple thoughts…

In regular Corkboard mode, if you select multiple container documents in the binder (e.g. folders for Chapter 1, Chapter 2, and Chapter 3), you will get the Corkboard divided into rows or columns (one or the other; you can choose, and also whether the rows wrap, with the footer icons in the pillbox). So with something like that you could keep your chapters divided, and move cards from one chapter to another visually. The rows/columns won’t be labeled, but you could create a dummy card (not included in compile) to head each one that just had the chapter name/number and any other info you wanted to mark off there.
corkboard options.png

For keeping track of plotlines, you might find the label colors or the keyword color chips helpful. You can set the keyword colors to be visible in Corkboard via View>Corkboard>Show Keyword Colors, and you can set how many chips are visible by clicking the icon in the far right of the footer. You can show label colors on the index cards multiple ways–coloring the whole card (View>Use Label Color In>Index Cards) and adding a corner chip or colored push-pin (View>Corkboard>Show Pins; the style depends on your index card theme, set in Scrivener>Preferences:Corkboard). Hovering the mouse over the keyword chip or the label pin/chip will also pop up a tool tip with the name of the keyword or label.

Also, if you haven’t tried out the freeform Corkboard, that might be another way to create the kind of freer structure you’re after. You can arrange the cards in any kind of row or column (granted, there won’t be rules there, although you can set any background you like, so you could make a grid sized up appropriately for the cards and use that). You’d also not be limited to rows and columns if you wanted to cluster cards in other ways–I’ve been using this a lot with a loose outline to brainstorm and link ideas and events, etc. and see how “big” (how many cards) certain points are vs. others. Not sure if that’s something that would work for you, but the nice bit with freeform is that you can put the cards anywhere.

So, maybe not what you were asking for exactly, but just some ideas if you haven’t tried them. I wasn’t a huge Corkboard writer myself, preferring the Outliner, but I’ve found a lot of fantastic flexibility with the 2.0 version (freeform and more colors! I love colors) that’s really helped me visualize and plot and jiggle free fresh ideas.