Half way through trial impression

The thing that stands out the most about Scrivener is the cork board. There is something about being able to visually arrange my scenes as note cards that just beats moving the scenes around on a list or outline.

I was a little dismayed to find the dialog boxes all locked to a single multi-window panel and would have liked to pick some of them to float onto my second screen. On the other hand, I discovered the split screen and arranged the cork board on one screen and my text on the other. This is where Scrivener almost scored a knock-out. I would have liked to use the cork board as a binder, or sub-binder where I could select scenes to edit and easily update their status etc. All those things CAN be done, just not as easily as I would like. The drop down menu allows me to edit the scene in the alternate window. The drop down menu allows me to change the status, color etc. All those actions require going through a second sub menu.

It’s nice to have a place to collect info on characters and places, but I don’t see anywhere that ties it into the manuscript. Can I list all the scenes that include a certain character or location? I tested Scrivener writing a chapter of a historical fantasy. I have a lot of character names marked as spelling errors. I haven’t yet seen any way to have them unmarked, other than adding them to the dictionary, which I don’t want to do.

I haven’t tackled the research capabilities. I keep chrome open on the other screen and look up stuff as needed.

I see a lot of promise and will follow where it goes from here and undoubtedly try it again some day.

Thanks for giving me this opportunity to try it.

Yup. Check out: pigfender.com/index.php/2013 … -keywords/

Thanks for giving Scrivener a try. We do have plans down the line to add the ability to open text documents in a floating editor, and to open as many of these as you like, so you could drag them over to your second screen as you liked. Full screen mode too will get dual-monitor support so you could have that running on one while the regular project window remains accessible on the other.

By clicking the double-arrow button in the editor footer, you can link the editors such that selecting a card on the corkboard will automatically open the document in the split editor, giving you a binder-like behaviour. Changing the status and label for multiple documents works the same for both the corkboard and binder: select the items, right-click and choose from the Label or Status menu. You can also always change the meta-data for any individual item focussed in the editor by using the inspector.

Pigfender already linked to a useful post on using keywords and saved searches to achieve this; I’ll just add that keywords are only one method, and you can save a search based off other criteria as well. For instance, if you use labels to mark the point of view character for a scene, you could search for a given label and create a collection of all that character’s POV scenes.

Other than disabling the option to check spelling while typing, there’s not another way to do this. The personal word list is editable, though (accessible in the Corrections tab of Tools > Options), and strictly speaking, it is possible to switch the file Scrivener references for this list, as it’s just a text file saved in your user AppData folder (on Vista and up it will be C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Scrivener\Scrivener\wordlist.ini). It’s obviously more work since it’s something you’d have to do manually, but it could be done.

I thought you could right-click and use the Ignore Spelling option?

Good point. This one currently only applies for the duration of the session, though, so it wouldn’t be a longterm option. (I’ve put this on the bug list; ideally this could be made project-specific and persistant, but I’m not sure how its wrapped up with the dictionary settings and whether this is currently possible.)