Have you ever thought about ...

… bringing Scrivener to the next level and make it a web based collaboration tool for teams - including all its excellent tools for writers the desktop version has, to enable authors, lectors and correctors to log on at the same time, working on a manuscripts together? This would also eliminate all OS specific issues because it’s running in the cloud and on a browser. It would eliminate to exchange files with lectors, speed up time to market and make the work available from everywhere and on any device that has a browser.

This is an old chestnut that has been roasted to a crisp. If you gave Keith the millions and huge staff resources of Apple or Google, it might eventually happen.

Mark

So the answer is yes, they have thought about it - but neither resources nor plans … That’s fair enough.

Hi Thomas,

Yes, that’s it essentially. I’m the sole developer of the macOS and iOS version and we have two developers on the Windows version, so the resources aren’t there. None of us have any experience in the sort of thing you are suggesting, so we’d need a whole other team. Also it wouldn’t solve any particular issues unless users couldn’t use Scrivener when offline, which would be terrible. If users can use Scrivener offline, then all the same problems would exist with changes being made in more than one place at once having to be merged.

All the best,
Keith

Hi Keith,

Thank you for your answer.
I really appreciate it.
The idea to collaborate on a scrivener project file, using all the advantages the stand alone version has, was thrilling me for a moment - but yes, I do understand your points.

Greetings from Germany,
Thomas

I know this subject keeps coming up and I think you need to do something. A new app, Airstory.com, is currently in beta that could take the place of scrivener (it has nowhere near the functionality but has the online & collaboration built in).

Regards to the resources, why not try to partner with someone?
The most obvious choice would be the copyblogger/ rainmaker team. They have all the IT resources, the audience and they already love scrivener - in fact, I probably heard about scrivener from copyblogger.

There will always be a myriad of apps for writing. They all differ from each other in some way and they will all find their supporters. You use the apps that best fit your needs. It’s as simple as that. The key to success is to have an idea and to see it through, even when others think you are doing something stupid. Apple didn’t become Apple by anxiously looking around at what other did and trying to copy it all. They had an idea and followed it through, and then the next idea, and the next.

I have no idea how many Scrivener licences that have been sold over the years, but judging by the number of people active in here, taking into account that most users are probably not registered in the forum, and putting it all in relation to the (low) number of individuals constituting ‘Literature & Latte’, I’d say they have been quite successful.

I don’t see a need for L&L to copy what others try to do. Let others pursue their own ideas, and if you find that their solution better suits your needs, switch to that app.

PS. I looked at Airstory and as far as I could tell it is possibly a competitor to Storyist, but not to Scrivener.

If you guys were able to work a deal with Trello (trello.com/), I think you would have a fantastic web based app.

I understand the budget constraints. Furthermore turning Scrivener into a collab tool may be complicated. However, now that the mobile versions are already using Dropbox to sync the project, porting an ipad-like version of Scrivener to a web app would be really useful :slight_smile:

When I am using a different computer (when I travel to work, with the notebook of the company, for example) I miss the possibility of logging in into a web app and review my text.

This is a perfect use case for the iOS version.

Maybe, but all the reasons not to do it still apply.

Katherine