Having File Issues (New file replaced with old?)

Hi,

I’m kind of panicing a little right now. For the last three hours, I’ve been looking for one file. I changed in just a few days ago – on June 19th. The file now says it hasn’t been altered since February 2013. That’s obviously not the case.

I have DropBox. But I haven’t had this problem with anything else. None of my other files are affected – I’ve checked. Is there any way Scriverner might have saved a backup? Or something? Somewhere? I can I find the latest saved version or something?

Yes, I have checked my Trash. I haven’t emptied my Trash in weeks. Does anyone have any tips?

If the file was overwritten, is there a way to recover the former version? I’m not sure if that’s what happened. It says that most of the file sections weren’t touched since February (one section says March), wouldn’t it say June if I had saved over it? But if I look at Date Mortified, it says today.

I just really, really hope there’s a way to get this back :frowning: So, so, so, so much work is going to be lost.

Thank you for any help in advance.
Kim

Hi Kim,

Have you checked out where Scrivener is saving backups? If you select Preferences, then click on “Backup,” the right-most option, it might be that Scrivener has already been saving multiple .zip backup files automatically. If so, “Turn on automatic backups” will be checked, and the location of the backups can be found at the bottom of the window, where it says “Backup location”.

If that doesn’t help, would you mind giving a bit more detail about what methods you have used to search for a different version of the file? I might be able to come up with some ideas you haven’t tried already.

I wish you luck!
-Pete

Oh my god, Pete, you’re a live saver! Thank you sooooo much, I just found the file in the backup saving area. I really can’t say it enough: thank you, thank you, thank you!

Oh that’s great! My pleasure - I can totally relate to the anxiety that comes with losing your writing. Good luck with the rest of your work.

-Pete