Having trouble with Compile - HELP!

Hey, everyone. I hope someone can help me figure this out. I seem to have completely forgotten how this is supposed to work.

I’ve put together a lengthy book (190,000 words) with 80+ chapters. It has an introduction and an epilogue. In Scrivener, I use folders for each chapter and text for scenes. The Folders are set with section type “chapter”, the texts with “scene.” Because of the epilogue and introduction, I have put in the title area the Chapter with the appropriate number and/or “Introduction” and “Epilogue.”

Here’s where I’m having trouble: when I try to compile my book into a Word file, I cannot for the life of me remember how to override the automatic chapter numbers and insert my custom titles. Whenever I compile, it just starts with the first Folder as “Chapter One” and so on and so forth, meaning my Introduction (which is an introduction, not a first chapter) is now the first chapter and the epilogue is labeled as a last chapter.

I know that there’s a way to set that up in the compile settings to make that not happen, but for the life of me, I can’t figure out how to do that. Can anyone help? Thank you!

Hi JWOtte, and welcome to the forum.

What I do in my projects is to have a section type specifically for my Introduction/Prologue/Epilogue. I’ll add it in Project > Project Settings > Section Types.

Then on the main File > Compile panel, I can change those documents to use the special section type I added. In the Assign Section Layouts area, I can give that section type its own example text with a page break and the section name as its heading.

That way, those documents will use the title from the binder as the document name, they’ll have page breaks, but they won’t be included in my chapter numbering.

I can customize the compile settings to change how the chapter headings are formatted if I only want chapter numbers or both the chapter number and chapter name on the same line.

If you haven’t used the compile tools in a while, you might want to review our 4-part series titled “Getting Your Work Out” on the Mac tutorial videos page.

A refresher of the steps might be helpful as you review your current settings.

1 Like