Having trouble with dragging and dropping links

Hi. I’m having some trouble creating a link by dragging and dropping an item from the Binder into text of my current document.

I’ve been holding down the option key as instructed in the manual. However, most of the time, one of two things happens:

The dragged document is copied into the current document.
The dragged document becomes the current document.

Once in a while, I do successfully create a link. However, I don’t know what I’m doing differently in those cases.

Thanks in advance for your help.

It can be a little tricky, but once you know what you’re doing I think it becomes ingrained. Basically you need to

1. Click on the document in the binder and do not lift up the mouse button, then
  2. Press the option key after you’ve started dragging the document

Letting go of the button or pressing the option key before you click on the document result in the document getting loaded in the editor; not pressing the option key at all causes you to copy the content of the document rather than create a link.

Locking the editor (opt-cmd-L) is another good way to prevent accidentally switching documents when you’re creating links, so you could try that too. Still need to hold the option key, but since the editor won’t load new documents it won’t matter when you press it.