Header & Footers

I use Scrivener more for creating Technical Manuals than writing novels - and it is very good for this purpose.
However the header and footer facilities are, I suspect, more suited to the novelist. I tend to prefer the Subject matter to be in the Header and the date and page number to be at the bottom.
A program that achieves this quite simply is Omni Outliner. The output is quite simple, but clear.
This type of control would mean I could print out straight from Scrivener for many purposes and it would still look reasonably professional. I am not looking for something pretty, such as we can obtain from Word or Pages, merely something clear.
If this possible in some future release I would be a very happy user.

Hi,

You have complete control over what appears in the header and footer - just use the “Page Settings” pane of Compile. (See Help > Placeholder Tag List… for variables that you can place in the header and footer, such as date, page number, page count and so on). It would certainly be very easy to set it up to have the subject matter in the header and the date and page number in the footer, so I’m not quite sure where you have got the idea that this isn’t possible.

All the best,
Keith

Very many thanks for you response. I followed it through and it does do what you say. But only it you go through Compile, which was not what I was looking for. It is a fairly laborious process for a quick print.
Rather I was looking to print a section straight from Scrivener. Page Set under File in Scrivener provides a fabulous range of options when you go into Settings.
But everything comes out as a Header, right justified.
I was just looking for something “cheap and cheerful” that added a little more control, with the ability to put some of the information in the Footer, but directly from a Scrivener print. I understand that you have not designed Scrivener to be a “formatting” vehicle, but I do like to do the occasional quick print out because it amazing how often the spelling and the sense change between the screen and the printed out put. And even seeing simple layouts quickly tells one what does not work.
I hope that explains my position a little more clearly.

Kind regards

Hi,

Ah, okay, I understand. File > Print Current Document is really intended only as a quick print-out and nothing more. You can turn off the header via File > Page Setup > Settings > Scrivener > Options, but there isn’t much control beyond that. Compile is the meat of Scrivener, so that is where all the control is.

All the best,
Keith

Keith
Thanks for the clarification.
I am not an Apple Scripter, but perhaps there is someone out there that has created a Script that can create a quick print out, in the manner I have outlined, compiling into Word and printing out using just one command. I love being efficient (lazy).

Kind regards