Header not showing up in rtf -- AKA I'm a moron

So here’s the deal. I’m working on the creative writing piece. I like it. I want to turn it in. It is in folder 9,218 in the binder. I go to compile, select folder 9,218 and all the sub docs. I uncheck “as is” on all docs and the “page break before” where required. I go down to the page settings options and make sure I have the header what I need. I then check all the silly format stuff for the text. Then I set “Compile for:” to “Rich Text (.rft - Word Compatible)” and click the magic button.

I open the resultant RTF in textedit. Looks great except for the missing header. Open the RTF in pages. No header. I sigh, open terminal, use faithful vi and get [code]\pgnrestart\pgnstarts1
{\header {\pard\qr {\f1 \fs24 Jaysen O’Dell / Short Story / {\chpgn}\b0 \i0 \ul0 \par}}}[\code] which seems to indicate that said header should be there. Right? Right?

So what am I missing to actually SEE the header in Pager/textedit?

Pages and TextEdit only have very limited RTF support and do not support RTF headers and footers, images, footnotes, comments and more. To see the headers and footers, open the document in a word processor that has full RTF support, such as Word, Nisus, Mellel or OpenOffice.
All the best,
Keith

Scrivener -> RTF -> OpenOffice -> DOCX -> Pages is the cheapest way to get the full document to Pages right now; Word and Nisus are the best (RTF comments get lost in OOo). You can also try downloading the public beta which has a new, non-Apple, DOCX engine. You should be able to go straight to Pages with that.

prefix Note that I recognized the issue in the thread title.

You know, I bet scriv supports RTF import with all that jazz. So couldn’t I just import it back into scriv? No, because scriv has no page concept. Darn you KB for writing a tool that does what it says it does! And yes, I knew about the RTF support issues with apple importer. Not sure why I didn’t put 3 and 9 together.

Ioa, the goal is not into pages, but to make sure the format will pass review by prof. So the lazy me said to my not so lazy me, “Hey stoopid, what about google docs?” and the not so lazy me tried it. And lo, there were headers, and there were footers, and there were footnotes. And I gazed upon what I had crated and I said “it is good”.

So if you need to simply verify the RTF output, upload to Google docs. BTW you can DL the file back to .doc format and pages imports it with headers, footnotes, etc. I think we now have a valid use for google docs!

Ah! Good to know there is another free route available, especially if you do not wish to invest the time it takes to download OpenOffice.

I’m to the point were I am avoiding OO for the same reasons I am avoiding MS Office. But that is just me.

Actually, if you need to open it in Pages, then you can download the new beta from the Beta Testing forum. The new beta uses a third-party library to add improved .doc and .docx support, and Pages is much better at opening these formats than it is at opening RTF files. So you could download the new beta and export to .docx, and open that in Pages - that should work fine, with footnotes and headers and suchlike (whereas if you use the current version of 2.2., these things will be lost from .docx).

All the best,
Keith

I had considered that. The larger point is that I have a school that is sane. They require RTF submission, FOR COMPATIBILITY! I love it! They don’t send doc/docx. They won’t accept them. odt is disallowed as well. The google trick lets me verify the RTF and I’m not using pages to clean/change anything so you can go back to your cheese doodles and beer.

I’ll give 2.2 a spin though. If I take the next class for writing I will likely have more stringent submission criteria which will require me to do more formatting. Although I could try to understand the compile options better … DARN YOU KB!!!