Help. A few noob questions for ios. Did read iOS tutorial

Hi there,

I read the tutorial, but as soon as I started using it, I had myriad problems.

1. Is the only way to save to back out to project screen where it syncs? Any advantage to having local vs Dropbox copy besides the safety of having it on cloud?

2. On manuscript times, why does it not indent the first scene in chapter but does the second scene? Why can’t I determine in text editor what gets indented via tab?

3. How do I change the font of the chapter title in default and why can’t I at least duplicate it to modify?

Is there a more in depth manual? Because based on my first 10 minutes playing around the manual doesn’t cover much

Thank you!

Menu: Help → Scrivener Manual is, dare I say, “in-depth”.

Also at User Manuals | Literature & Latte

I’m on IOS. It looks like all we’ve got is the short tutorial, knowledge base and the forum. Now that I look further.

oh. pity not mentioned.

iOS version of Scrivener offers a small subset, focusing on editing projects, of the Desktop Version. Don’t expect too much beyond editing, simple compiles, solid sync via Dropbox with desktop, et. For that it is fantastic. I use it daily.

I’ve moved your post to “Scrivener → Scrivener for iOS”.

Edit: A quick Google found Scrivener for iOS by Yulia Lukashina | Medium which looks interesting. Probably others out there.

Scrivener autosaves as you go. You don’t need to “back out” in order to save.

A local copy can be more reliable if your internet connection is unreliable: trying and failing to synchronize can leave the project in an indeterminate state, especially if you work on multiple devices. In particular, you can use local storage as a safe place to keep things if you’re trying to troubleshoot a Dropbox issue.

Read this, on backups for iOS Scrivener: Guide to Keeping iOS Projects Backed Up / iOS / Knowledge Base - Literature and Latte Support

If you use tabs in the text editor, then add indents via the Compile command, you’ll end up with double indents.

The section on Compiling Your Draft in the Tutorial project explains how to change Compile settings.

1 Like

Thanks for the info. What do you consider best practices for working with documents? Do people keep a local copy and a synced copy? Where is the local copy stored if I just have a Dropbox version?

Regarding the formatting, I’m kind of stunned in a program like this I actually need to learn a markup language to use it. I see nothing in the coding of manuscript times that indents the second scene but not the first. I don’t see any indents command in iOS.

Also, there’s no way for me to modify the default so it doesn’t create giant chapter titles. I only have chapter written on the folder name. So at this point, there is no formatting option that makes a normal manuscript an agent would accept.

Thanks for your help.

It’s mentioned twice in the title :wink:

1 Like

Please clarify your platforms: do you plan on working with both Windows Scrivener AND iOS Scrivener?

Asking because you’ll receive different recommendations if you are iOS-only vs. dual platforms.

Best,
Jim

At the top of the Appearance Editor, there’s a ‘?’ icon that will open the full documentation of the Appearance options. In that file, look for the section on Document Title Formatting to find how to change the title format. Look for the section on Transformations to enable/disable first line indents.

1 Like

Well I only bought IOS because I thought it was a complete package in itself, but it appears I may have to splurge for both. But let’s talk iOS for now. I’m also particularly interested in where it saves a copy locally if I’m using just a Dropbox project, and why sometimes I see a.scrv file and sometimes also see a draft folder, but not always. Thanks Jim

OK I was able to find the “first no line indents command” in manuscript times. I’ve never heard of this for a manuscript format. Have I been doing it wrong all these years? Are the first lines of a chapter typically not indented?

Also, is there some reason you can’t make a copy of the default compiler? I understand wanting to keep a correct version around, but why not make it duplicatable like the other formats? Because I like the default format (without scene breaks), but those chapter titles have to be smaller

While iOS Scriv does not have all the features of desktop–after all, desktop Scriv’s user manual is 700+ pages–the iOS version is still a complete package in itself. Last time I checked, I found its feature set comparable to other iOS writing apps on the market.

I always use iOS Scriv in conjunction with desktop Scriv. While I understand in theory the best practices of an iOS-only process, I haven’t used them in real life. Best to let someone who has lived with them speak to this.

On your iDevice, go to Files > On My iDevice > Scrivener > Dropbox.

That’s where your Dropbox projects are stored locally. (The iOS Scriv Tutorial project is always stored as a local project.)

Also, on my iPhone, when I go Settings > General > iPhone Storage > Scrivener > Documents & Data, I can see that Scriv’s docs take up 80 MB on my phone, which just happens to be the cumulative size of my projects on Dropbox. So Scriv stores a complete copy of your Dropbox projects locally on your iDevice–which, of course, makes sense.

You’re going to need to be more specific about where you are seeing these things. And please, be clear whether you are referring to projects from iOS Scriv, desktop Scriv, or both, and whether you are looking from your PC or your iDevice. It may make a difference in the answer.

Best,
Jim

“Complete” for what? No version of Scrivener is suitable if you want a soup-to-nuts design and publication tool.

A .scriv file (actually a folder) is a project. The Draft folder is a component within a project. Typically, the folder named Draft will only be visible within Scrivener itself. All views with all other tools will show the .scriv folder and its components. (Note that Scrivener itself is the only supported way to edit the components of a project.)

Ok, so there’s the Scrivener folder that Scrivener made automatically on my iPad locally which contains two folders: Dropbox and Tutorial. Then, at some point, it asked me to create a folder for a project, and I made one in iCloud on Files App, I named this folder myself. Inside that folder is a Draft folder and a zip file of that project.

The draft folder for some reason has a date of this morning when I haven’t made any changes to the project. When I went to scrivener to make a change to project, the date on folder didn’t update.

When you say the project is backed up automatically, do you mean as you type like Google docs? So I can write a sentence, force close the app, and it will have been saved? Where is this file?

Thank you for your help!

Who asked you to do this?

iOS Scrivener does not have a file chooser. It will only allow you to choose between local-only and Dropbox storage. It is not capable of “asking you to create a folder” anywhere. A screenshot might be very helpful here…

If you’ve managed to put a ZIP copy of a project inside the project’s .scriv folder, that’s a terrible idea and almost guaranteed to cause problems down the road. Do not use any tool other than Scrivener itself to put things in the .scriv project folder.

The automatic save (not a backup!) of a project will be stored in whatever location you have chosen for the project.

1 Like

OK, this was when I sent a copy of the project to backup. I made a folder in Icloud to send back ups to. What I don’t understand is why there’s a folder entitled drafts in there as well as the backups. I sure as hell didn’t make that folder.

The other thing I don’t get is why my first project has a novel format document, and the draft folder is called “manuscript” when I just tried making another project, there’s no option to choose formats and the draft folder is entitled “draft”. What did I do differently? Thanks.

You created this project on Windows Scrivener. When you created it, you selected the Project Template called Novel, which creates a draft folder named Manuscript. Because you saved this project to Dropbox, it synced to your iPad. That’s why you can see it on your iPad.

I assume you’re trying to create the new project on your iPad. iOS Scrivener doesn’t support Project Templates, therefore any projects you create on iOS Scriv are from the Project Template called Blank. In the Blank template, the draft folder is named Draft.

You created them on different platforms. :nerd_face:

Best,
Jim

I think a screenshot would be really helpful here. I’ll check your trust level to make sure you can post one.