Help Compiling

Hi,

I’ve been trying out Scrivener and went through the tutorial and also searched its Help looking for a way to make it fits my needs. Pardon me if this is a trivial question, but I was unable to find a solution on my own.

I work with .strings files, translating software into other languages and Scrivener might be a good way to store and quickly update/compare/edit/tag/comment and keep these files up to date. My thought here is to have Scrivener as an organizer and editor.

Keeping in mind that an important aspect of software translation is not to exceed a string’s length (as it might need adaptation via different tools not always accessible by a localizer (translator, that is)), let me describe an usual scenario:

The format of a string file is always as follows: “Save” = “Save”; where the part after the equal sign is put into the targeted language. While short entries like this are quite easy to spot any length discrepancy, longer entries aren’t, and thus I have to resort either to the mouse, selecting one side of the equation at a time to get a character count, or to insert a line break after the equal sign, so I can visually compare them when using a fixed width font. Here’s what it ends up looking like:

“Save” =
“Save”;
(note: there’s a space after the equal sign)

Having each side of the equation on different lines fits my workflow better and makes me work faster, visually finding spots where I need to exchange some big word for a smaller one (go thesaurus!). Would there be a way to import these .strings files already formatted like this (they are plain text files with UTF encoding mostly)? What about upon exporting, could one revert them to their initial layout?

Any help or thought on this matter will be much appreciated.

Best regards to all!

You can use the Substitutions compile fields to replace the equals sign plus newline for just an equals sign. Use the OPT key to enter the newline character (which should be invisible, and may make the searched-for equals sign scroll up out of sight). That would restore them to one line on compile.

Love simple - and often forgotten - solutions! Thanks so much for pointing it out!

Also applied this method in a regular ‘replace and find’ operation, so after importing, all the text is displayed as I desired. Would you let me know if there’s a way to automate this upon importing?

Thanks again!

Kind regards.