Help! Conflicting Versions of a Project

Help!

I’ve been working on my project and thinking that it was happily saving the cloud service at uni - however, when I opened it this morning, I discovered everything I wrote last week - gone!

Well, not totally gone.

When I right-click and open my project ‘package’ - I see about 100 of these messages

Literature_Review_Test_07_June (Conflict72-my name).scrivx

Literally- it starts at conflict #1 and goes through to conflict >#99

How do I get back the final version that I saved?

I can open this file but my text /notes fields are blank.

I can go and see the .rtf files saved separately but not as part of this project.

Will I have to re-populate them manually? :open_mouth:

First, have you checked Scrivener’s own backup files? The Scrivener -> Preferences -> Backups tab has a button that will take you to the backup folder.

If that doesn’t help, I’ve written a procedure for recovering projects damaged in this manner, here:
https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/using-scrivener-with-dropbox/11295/130

It’s likely to be tedious, but you should be able to recover your project by working through the “conflict” files and re-importing the text back in.

The other issue is to figure out exactly what went wrong, so that you can keep it from happening again. If you have that many conflict files, it sounds like the server is unable to keep up with the rapid saves that Scrivener depends on. If that’s the case, the safest bet might be to store the working copy of the project locally and use the cloud for backups only. However. it’s hard to offer useful suggestions without knowing exactly how your university’s cloud service works. Is there a public manual page that you can link to?

Katherine

Hi Katherine,
Thanks for the detailed response. I tried the backup but the problem with the backups was the same as the original file- the folder structure was there but not the actual files (text).

I used option 2 and it was ok.

Here is a link to the User Guide for the Cloud service that I am /was using cdn.oxygencloud.com/docs/Oxygen_ … e_0812.pdf

Uni has suggested keeping all documents in the cloud as security feature - however, Scrivener is now integral to how I work, so I’m going to switch to working locally and keeping a backup else where.

Thanks.

S

What some people like to do is point the automatic backup folder in Scrivener’s preferences to the synchronisation folder area. This way whenever Scrivener creates an automatic backup, it gets uploaded to the off-site network and preserved for safekeeping there. This is in fact the method I use myself. I keep my working projects “local”, but all of my backups are routed to my off-site cloud backup systems. In a worst case scenario, if I have to start from scratch with a computer I can just hook it up to my cloud account and download the backups to get everything restored.

And telling Scrivener to zip compress your backups will safe-guard the internal files of the project, since it will all look like one big file, which is simpler for most any cloud sync service (or network shared drive) to work with.

Glad to hear you’re back on track!

The first post in the thread I linked to before details best practices for using Scrivener with cloud services:
https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/using-scrivener-with-dropbox/11295/1

To that list I would add a recommendation that you keep your working project and your automatic backups in different locations. That is, if the project is local, put the backup in the cloud, or vice versa.

Katherine