Help creating TOC please !

I thought this would be easy, but I must be missing something obvious. I have a manuscript in Scrivener. I want to compile as ePub, then open the ePub in iBooks. I’m having trouble getting the TOC to generate properly. As you will see from the attached image, my (sample) book has three chapters. Each chapter is a folder. Inside each folder are text files.

Three issues.

1. The chapter names do not carry thru from Scrivener to iBooks
  2. There is no chapter numbering.
  3. The chapters in iBooks are not clickable - they do not take you to the specific chapter.

I’ve tried lots of solutions from the Scrivener user guide and from other sources, and I do mange do get some aspects to work, but never all at the same time. Advice welcome!

dropbox.com/s/ivso49hw5atdx … 1.png?dl=0

I think this will get you headed in the right direction:
[Screenshot order - Binder, then two Compile settings.]
[attachment=0]Screen Shot 2017-07-26 at 8.15.53 PM.png[/attachment]

[attachment=2]Screen Shot 2017-07-26 at 8.06.09 PM.png[/attachment]

[attachment=1]Screen Shot 2017-07-26 at 8.06.55 PM.png[/attachment]

Note that in Compile > Contents, “Example” is not ticked at the include box. And, at Compile > Layout, “Example” is typed into the box next to “HTML table of contents title:”.

[Edit to add: the Compile > Contents screenshot shows the setting without documents. To test, put some dummy documents in each chapter/folder before compiling.]

Yes, that does help! Among other things, I wasn’t grasping that I needed to type EXAMPLE in the Compile > Layout field for HTML.

Thanks!

I second this recommendation whenever you’re having troubles with Compile, particularly for ebooks. Ebooks in particular tend to make guesses about formatting based on the rest of the text. Compiling what is essentially an empty template can produce all sorts of strange effects that you wouldn’t see with a real manuscript.

There are lots of Lorem Ipsum (dummy text) generators on the web. This seems as good as any: lipsum.com/

Katherine