HELP: Document ERASED while WRITING

Hello. I am using the latest version of Scrivener. I have been writing a long project over the past few days and backing up once daily. Today (before I was finished for the day) two of the text documents within my draft folder were completely erased. The titles remained and the documents still exist but their contents are gone. I have not changed ANYTHING about what I have been doing (saving to a jumpdrive and backing up to the hard drive) and was in the middle of writing when most of today’s progress disappeared. PLEASE HELP ME. I have looked in all of my backups, but since I had not closed Scrivener or forced a backup since beginning writing today none of them contain what I am looking for. Where else can I look?

Don’t know that this will be of any assistance… If not or if objectionable, toss it.

My unsuccessful naive thought had been that perhaps you could browse the
C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\PROJECTNAME.scriv\Files\Docs
folder for renamed or hidden files (i.e. old deleted versions of current .rtf files), copy them elsewhere, open the elsewhere copies with Write or some such and copy/paste the contents back into the Scrivener editor session… but, poking around in my own such folder, I don’t see any such hidden/deleted versions of files… and it would take a lot of work to determine which were the ones one was after and one could possibly break things further by trying such…

Forum searches on “deleted”, “emptied”, “erased”, etc. might turn up something.

A possible related over discussion might be
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21593&p=144000&hilit=deleted#p144000

There has been a fair amount of discussion lately about the dangers of Scrivener projects being saved/worked on live on anything other than unshared internal hard drives (and internal solid state drives (SSDs) presumably?). Sounds like pretty much everything else (shared/network drives, Internet storage/backup, DropBox, GoogleDrive, etc.) is ok for backups (as opposed to saves) taken at end of session or when Scrivener is not running, but right out as the primary location for projects. Also sounds like non-Scrivener file synchronization, backup, etc. software touching Scrivener related files while Scrivener is running causes problems. Don’t know about USB thumb/jump drives… either due to their nature or due to one in particular perhaps getting old/unreliable.

Forum searches on “collaboration”, “shared”, etc. will turn up related discussions.

One angle to approach the problem from is, what happened at that time in Scrivener or on the computer in general? I have unintentionally emptied or deleted one or more docs within a Scrivener project from time to time, due to having something more/other selected in the binder than I thought I did (in which case an Undo might help if done immediately upon realizing this… or might not). Was the project on something other than an internal hard drive? Was there synch or other software or network user(s) or other computer on the network also running Scrivener that might have touched the project files at the same time you were working on them? Keyboard macro utility that might have generated an unwanted unnoticed keyboard/mouse action? Does the computer hardware pass thorough hardware diagnostics? Is the antivirus/antimalware software robust and current?

One possibility is to initiate backups more frequently within Scrivener, perhaps by turning on “backup with each manual save” and then doing periodic manual saves during the day. If so, would probably want to bump the number of backups retained up considerably, so that last good version doesn’t vanish as the oldest are deleted. If the project being worked on is large, the backups would presumably generate significant delays and take up considerable disk space.

Another possibility is to split documents up into a larger number of smaller documents, in the hopes of limiting such erasures, whatever their cause, to resulting smaller chunks of material.

Hope that’s more help than hurt.

Good luck.

Just realized there is a middle ground that might prove useful for frequent saving/versioning within a given document, … Snapshot

From the manual…

15.6 Using Snapshots
In essence, the theory behind a Snapshot is very simple. You can think of it as a way
of manually saving your file for future reference. In a program like Scrivener which
automatically saves your work as you work, you lose the benefit of being able to work
“off the disk” for a while, and choosing at defined moments in time to either save what
you’ve done, or discard it and return to what you have on the disk at the last save point.
Of course, on the other hand, if your computer crashes (and as much as we try to avoid
it, sometimes Scrivener crashes too) with an auto-saving program, you might only lose
a few minutes of work, or even nothing at all, rather than everything you’ve done since
the last save.
Snapshots help you bridge the gap between these two ways of working. It is like saving
your document as you go, the only difference is, you get a record of each save point.
That means you can go back and examine the evolution of the file and pick out just the
126 CHAPTER 15. WRITING AND EDITING
right spot to restore from. In the course of editing, you might change your mind about
something you deleted more than one save iteration ago. With a traditional save as you go
model, you’d be out of luck. With Scrivener, you can just go back through your Snapshot
history, find the point in time where the deleted passage still existed, and copy and paste
it back to the present—or even just roll back the whole document to that spot.