Help! Hit the wrong button and the Challenger exploded!

So … I was TRYING just to FIND the folder with my novel so I could copy and paste the project to my laptop, so I could work with it on the go. So I was searching inside directory folders.

Instead if finding what I wanted, I found a Scrivner project that was dated in February and clicked on it, hoping to see what was in it. INSTEAD it immediately updated itself to today’s date. Then later, when I went to work on my book and opened Scrivner … to my horror I discovered that my story was now replaced with this OLDER, OUT OF DATE VERSION.

I went into Snapshots, which I found wasn’t not only backed up automatically as I thought it had been doing … BUT also was saved in .rtf format, rather than in a Srivner format.

Is there any way to recover where I was?

(Thankfully, all is not lost for me. I am so paranoid about my work that I constantly copy and paste anything I do in Scrivner work to Word, and then make duplicate copies of from Word onto two flash drives. Paranoia is my constant companion and close friend.)

So, I CAN just import my Word file and start there. But if I do, I will not only lose my notes and synopsis (a feature I really like and use) but also the copy that I put into a special “Not really deleted” folder I’ve created, which I sometimes temporarily place copy, and return to later, when I find the proper place for it in my story.

Any and all advice appreciated.

Crisis over. It appeared that the next time I opened the program, everything was there exactly as it was supposed to be. I have no idea why.

I have now taken the additional precaution as saving the project under the new name with today’s date as part of the title. Anyway, thanks for being prepared to help me … even though it wasn’t necessary this time.

Now if anyone could tell me how to accomplish my original task - making a copy of my current work to transfer from my desktop to my lap top – it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. :smiley:

Here’s my recent attempt. Hope it makes sense and proves useful.

https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/save-project-to-cloud-work-from-2nd-pc/26459/1

P.S.

By default, on startup (i.e. if you double click the Scrivener app icon itself), Scrivener remembers and opens whatever project you last worked on. To change this, go into Tools > Options > General and unclick the appropriate checkbox (“Open recent projects on program launch” in v1.6, “Reopen projects that were open on quit” in v1.7).

An alternate way of opening a project, particularly useful if it is not the one most recently worked on, is to navigate to and into the project’s folder (name ends in .scriv) and double click on the project’s index file (name ends in .scrivx).

One way of reminding oneself of the location/path of the project one is looking at/working on in Scrivener is to have it display the full project path in the title bar. Tools > Options > General and click “Show full project path in the title bar”.

Thanks for helping.

I wound up saving the project to a flash drive, not to work on it, but to transfer it to my laptop (naming it by title of book and date of revision). I take seriously your advice never to work on the flash drive itself. But is there a reason not to save to it and immediately open it on the laptop, and then save it to the laptop? It seems easy to do. But a lot of things that seem easy …

That is more intuitive and should work. By “should”, I mean most likely will work for most folks most of the time…

Upside is that is more intuitive.
Downside is that saving involves lots of folders and small files copy actions to a type of media (USB thumb/flash drive) that is somewhat less robust/reliable at such things than hard drives or solid state drives (SSDs)… and may take longer than copying a single already compressed .zip file containing the project. Obviously, creation of the compressed .zip file takes time…

Keep in mind that File > Back Up > Back Up To can be used to produce either a regular uncompressed copy of the project folder and all its contents (with .zip option off) or a single compressed file containing the whole thing (with .zip option on)… and it automatically adds an up to the moment date/time stamp into the folder or .zip file name.

Probably best to investigate different scenarios and see which works best for you and your situation.

Others will have other perspectives and opinions on this. Your mileage will likely vary.

Hope that is some help.

Most helpful. In addition to saving to the flash when I want to transfer, I’ll look for the option to turn off the zip compression for the basic backups.