HELP - iCloud "maximize storage" was on. Can't open Scrivener file.

My iCloud automatically moved my Scrivener file to iCloud without keeping a copy on my computer apparently. When I download it, I get this message:

The project at “XX” seems to be of an older format, but no binder.scrivproj file could be found inside it. It may be missing or corrupt, possibly because of a problem with the device on which it is stored, or because of a synchronisation problem.

It then tells me to ctrl+click and look at show package contents, but this option does not appear for me.

Is there anything that I can do??

Scrivener’s automatic backups can be found by going to Scrivener -> Preferences -> Backups, and opening the backup folder in Finder.

You should be able to force iCloud to download the entire project back to the local computer, which should fix the problem. I’m not sure how to do that, though, so I’m afraid I’ll have to refer you to the Apple support world.

To anyone reading the thread, this is exactly why we recommend disabling the “maximize storage” option if you use iCloud for Scrivener projects.

Katherine

Edit: This link looks like it might be helpful. osxdaily.com/2017/07/06/disable- … ments-mac/

Thanks. I had looked at Scrivener backups, and for some reason, the project just isn’t there, even though all my other scriv projects, many of which are older, are. I’ll try contacting Apple now.

Downloading the files from iCloud is relatively simple and the link provided is as good as any.
You could also check support.apple.com/kb/PH27918?vi … cale=en_US

Fingers crossed there weren’t any hiccups during upload.

Unless you’re desperately short of storage space I wouldn’t recommend selecting iCloud Desktop and Documents and certainly never for Scrivener live projects.

I do use iCloud and have about 500Gb primarily Apple app storage and zip backup files and for those it’s rock solid.