HELP IMMEDIATELY - Incompatible File?

Hi, I started using the Beta Version of Scrivener on September 1st. So far it had been great, until all of a sudden it’s saying my file is incompatible.

I didn’t create a blank project for my documents - I just deleted the tutorials on the one I had read from and started from there. I had just typed 3 new chapters of my novel and I KNOW it saved - I have it set to autosave a second after I stop typing - and I hadn’t copied it onto my MS Word page yet as backup. I went to use the bathroom, and when I came back, my laptop was off. I realized it had unplugged on accident and quickly turned it back on. I checked my email and such, then went back to open Scrivener, and said “Project is incompatible with this version of Scrivener”.

How do I get my chapters back?!? Please help!!!
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Most common problem that causes this is the version.txt file, in the “Files” sub-folder of your project folder getting blanked out. Try opening that up in Notepad and see if there is a number in it. It should say “16”. If it doesn’t, type that in, save it, and try loading the project again.

Hi,

Sorry about your computer’s sudden death! The project probably just had a file corrupted when your computer turned off, and most likely this is a quick fix that you can do yourself. First thing, make a copy of your project’s entire .scriv folder, just for safety’s sake. Then, try these steps:

1. In Windows Explorer, open your project’s .scriv folder, then open the Files folder
  2. Open the “version.txt” file there in a plain-text editor (e.g. Notepad)
  3. In the editor, select all, type “16” (no quotes), then save

Then try opening the project again in Scrivener. If that still isn’t working, there may have been another file or two that got hit in the crash which just needs to be fixed up for Scrivener to be able to open the project. Right-click on the copied .scriv folder and choose “Send to \ Compressed (zip) file” and send that zip file to support AT literatureandlatte DOT com (if it’s 20MB or under) and I can take a look at it to see what we can do to get it up and running again.

EDIT: Right, like Ioa said. :wink:

I did try the 16 thing, it didn’t work. While I was waiting for your answer I searched every file for Scrivener and found my chapters in the darkest corner of over 100 files in some folder. Still, I’ll do the second thing you said 'cause I would LOVE to not have to copy everything into new chapters on a new project. Thanks a bunch! Expect the file in a few minutes!

I have sent it, I really hope I didn’t misunderstand your directions - and I apologize if I did - and thanks for the support!

Well, I must head to bed or else I will be a pile of sludge in the morning - all this stuff has kept me up 2 hours later than usual. Ugh.
I will be up in 8 hours, and am hoping desperately that I’ll have my email from you guys in the morning. Thanks for much for all the help, I ADORE Scrivener, and good night!

I’ve sent along your restored project. Goodnight!

Thank you SOOOOOOO much for helping me, I am eternally grateful! Hope you have a great day/night!

No problem. Go to sleep! :slight_smile: