Help! None of my old files can be opened!!!

I upgraded to version 3 from 2 a while ago. This morning I attempted to open earlier versions of my book on verson 3 and I get the following message:

Update Project?
The project “name.scriv” uses an older file format and cannot be opened. Would you like to update it? A copy of the old project will be saved in the same directory.

I click Yes and then get this error:

The document “name.scriv” could not be opened.
The update has been cancelled because there was an error when trying to create a backup of the project. Please check that there is sufficient space on your hard drive.

There is plenty of space on my drive.

I tried moving the file to another folder on my computer and then got this error:

The operation can’t be completed because one or more required items can’t be found.
(Error code -43)

So, I download version 2 of Scrivener and tried opening the files. They opened fine. But then when I tried to save it, I got this error:

The project ‘name.scriv’ could not be saved to ‘/Users/marcbook/Desktop/name.scriv’.
There was a problem saving a copy of the project. Check that you have enough free disk space and the correct permissions to save to the chosen location. Files that could be recovered have been saved to /Users/marcbook/Documents/name.scriv Recovered. The project will now close.

I am currently storing the files on Google Drive. Perhaps that’s the issue? It’s never been a problem in the past. Thanks for the help!

Unfortunately, Google Drive is known to corrupt Scrivener projects. One of the technical staff may be able to help you, but in the meantime it would be a good idea to conduct a search of the forums for information about this, and probably look at the FAQs on the site.

Edit: this advisory is pertinent https://scrivener.tenderapp.com/help/kb/cloud-syncing/google-drive-advisory

OK. So, I have a bit of an update. I downloaded Version 2 of Scrivener and was able to open the files. but I can’t Save As or anything. I just can’t get them from Version 2 to Version 3.