Help to 'tie' different sections of text together???

Hello,

I want to check the different threads of my story, ie. character arcs - is there any way I can highlight them/tag them/do something so I can quickly move from one to the other like you would if you were running through the comments pane on a word processing doc? I have around 10 threads I need to work with that all need to be ‘highlighted’ separately.

Thank you :smiley:

Lot of work to do initially perhaps, but when you’ve done it …

• Mark each document in the different threads with an appropriate label (with associated colour; that’s the "lots of work bit.
  • Click the magnifying glass at the top left of the window.
  • Click the magnifying glass in the resulting search bar and choose to search in “Label”
  • Search for the first label and when it lists the files, click the magnifying glass in the search bar again and at the bottom choose “Save search as collection”.
  • Repeat the search for the other labels and save the results as a collection,

When you’ve done that, you can display the collections in any of the three views, Scrivenings, Corkboard and Outline, and if you select the whole Draft/Manuscript, from View > Corkboard Options you can choose “Arrange by Label Layout” so you can see each thread but how it is dispersed through the whole.

HTH :slight_smile:

Mark

This is one of the main features of Scrivener, and it’s why it’s recommended that you split your text into smallish chunks (e.g. scenes rather than chapters).

The basic steps are:

1. Identify how you want to mark the different chunks — e.g. by using the built-in metadata, such as Status, Labels, Keywords etc, or by creating your own. Let’s say each of your threads has a different Keyword (Thread1, Thread2) etc — assign the appropriate keyword to the appropriate section.

2. Edit > Find > Search in Project (cmd-shift-f) and click the magnifying glass to the left of the search field which appears. In the drop down list, pick ‘Keywords’ and then type in ‘Thread1’.

3. You’ll see all the documents marked with ‘Thread1’ appear on the left. Click on the magnifying glass again and ‘Save Search as Collection’. You’ll be asked to name this new Collection, which is effectively just a dynamic saved search. From now on, whenever you add Thread1 as a keyword, or take it away, the collection will change accordingly. You can always get back to it with View > Show Collections

4. Now you’ve got all the ‘Thread1’ documents together, you can treat them either individually or as a virtual single document (a Scrivening). Click on one of the documents in the list, the cmd-a to select them all. Now when you toggle cmd-1 (Scrivening), cmd-2 (cork board) or cmd-3 (outline), you’ll be able to interact with just the ‘Thread1’ documents, without worrying that they are spread throughout the whole project.
    [attachment=1]Screenshot 2021-02-19 at 16.55.35.png[/attachment]

[attachment=0]Screenshot 2021-02-19 at 17.07.37.png[/attachment]

There’s a lot more you can do with Collections, so it may be worth doing the Interactive Tutorial to see how the feature works in more detail, but I hope this gives you the basic idea.

Thank you so much - I now know what to look for and will go do the tutorial :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

@brookter:

Thank you … an excellent tutorial on how to use Scrivener to organize a multitude of thoughts and ideas when reviewing a first, or any, draft.

Thank you!
scrive
:smiley:

You’re very welcome. I’m glad it helped!